What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM consumption issues

nishc

Hello all, greetings from India. I have come across posts on this forum while looking for answers several times so thanks for this forum :)

I am on CS6 and I just built a new PC as I am learning Maya but I am having RAM consumption issues with Photoshop. I have a 55mb file open and its consuming 5GB of RAM without any activities, when I was editing the file the RAM consumption shot upto 8GB. Which is really weird since the file I am working on is quite small.

Following are my SysSpecs:

AMD 8350+, ASRock Extreme 3 970 , 16GB RAM (HyperX Blu 1600 8GBx2) , 2TB Seagate green , ATI 7750 2GB DDR3

Tom Mann

Guru
How much RAM usage does Task Manager show being used before you open any applications (ie, like PS)?

If the above number is over 3 or 4 Gigs, probably some memory hogging program is being loaded at startup.

Start PS and look again at task manager to make sure it is only PS that is using all that memory, not something else.

Tom

nishc

Hi Tom,

I am a power user, a CSE otherwise so I am quite sure of it. RAM usage of PS in Task Manager was 8Gigs with 52% total system usage and only software that had a problem performing was PS, and I restarted PS 2 times to check if it changes but didnt. But the issue kind of sorted itself out after I rebooted the system and I hope it won't repeat itself. Sorry for the trouble and thanks for taking time to reply. I hope I will be a regular part of this forum and be able to help at some point :)

Nishant

Tom Mann

Guru
I'm very glad to hear you got it sorted out, Nish.

However, events like this bother me, so, should it happen to you again, could I ask you please let us know.

And yes, please do check in periodically, and if you would like to share some photos, we would love to see them.

Best regards,

Tom

MikeMc

McGuru
Are you using a separate drive as your Scratch disk?

nishc

I'm very glad to hear you got it sorted out, Nish.

However, events like this bother me, so, should it happen to you again, could I ask you please let us know.

And yes, please do check in periodically, and if you would like to share some photos, we would love to see them.

Best regards,

Tom

I surely will and I will try to upload some of my work here soon . Thanks :)

Are you using a separate drive as your Scratch disk?

No, my scratch Disk is on D:/ but it's the same drive as the one it's installed on. I do plan to get an SSD for this purpose very soon.