What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ready to kick the paint bucket

limey

Hi all, long time between visits.
I'm in the process of repainting a house in PS that is. My problem is that after I have selected an area to paint e.g. a wall of the house I can't seem to get an even spread.
If I click the paint bucket in the center of the wall the colour doesn't flow all the way to the edges. It seems to leave pockets that are not painted and I have to click in those areas which ends up giving me an uneven look.
I've tried using various levels of opacity all the way to 100% but it didn't make a difference.
Any ideas out there as to why it does this.
Thanks [excited]

G

Limey, I personally think that your approach is not the best one to colour these walls, but to come up with a better solution I have to see an example first.

Your problem however can be solved by changing the tolerance or contiguous settings in the top tool bar. :)

limey

Thanks Gaussian, it does work better with the settings you suggested but I would like to keep the opacity in the low ranges, as you can see on the pic that the right lower wall is not evenly coloured when I use the lower settings.
I'd be interested to know what a better way to do this is if you have any suggestions.

G

I selected the area that needed to be colorized with the Polygonal Lasso Tool. After I was done, I clicked on the mask button which created a mask using the active selection.
I then added a Hue & Saturation adjustment layer, selected the option colorize and adjusted the color.
This way you can always change the color at a later stage.

This is just one of the many ways to tackle this problem, but one step is always necessary; you HAVE to select the area that needs to be colorized.

limey

I tried to follow your example and selected a section with the Polygonal Lasso Tool but couldn't click on the Mask button for some reason it was dimmed out is there a step I'm missing.

G

That is because the background layer is locked ;)

You can unlock it by double clicking on it or you can make a copy of the background layer.

I always prefer to make a copy; its always good to keep the original intact.

Hold down the ALT key when you add the Hue & Saturation adjustment layer; the option screen will pop-up and you have to select Group with Previous Layer

wbiss

Guru
Hi limey! :)

I like your method, Gaussian...great guidance here! :perfect:

limey

Hi wbiss, what can I say, when you want the best you go to the best B7

Thanks Gaussian it worked like a charm I'm going to like playing at decorator. :D

limey

Hey Gaussian I might have spoken too soon, I tried moving on to a new section and duplicating what I did on the previous selection. However when I tried to add a layer mask for some reason it kept coming up with a vector mask. :(

Maybe the best way to do this would be to first select everything I want to colour the same and then just make one mask for all of the combined selections.

What do you think ? [confused]

G

- Select all the straight areas with the polygonal lasso tool (add extra selections by holding down the shift key). Make sure that you zoom in.
- Add the mask (only after you've done all your selections)

After the mask is created I would paint those areas in the mask that have a more irregular shape.

I don't want to make this a "how to use masks tutorial", but I think you get the idea ;)

limey

Thanks Gaussian that's how I was planning to do it. Still curious though why I was getting a Vector Mask instead of the Layer Mask.

G

limey said:
Still curious though why I was getting a Vector Mask instead of the Layer Mask.
That's a normal Photoshop behaviour; double clicking the mask icon always creates a vector mask :)