What's new

Realistic lighting in photographs

murphyz

Hello,

I'm having trouble with the lighting when pasting an image from one photograph into another...obviously with different light sources and colour in the facial features.

I can get the shadows how I like them, just the lighting. I have been playing around with the lighting effects, albeit unsuccessfully, and think this is where I need to improve. Other areas, such as the channels, I have used but cannot seem to get right - along with an attempt to take a prominent colour from the photo to act as a colour mask for the imported layer.

I was wondering if you had any hints or a link to a tutorial where I can learn more about how to use the lighting filter more efficiently.

Cheers

Mxx

theKeeper

Guru
I would suggest you try painting the highlights/shadows in manually on the subject Murph. The lighting effects filter is not designed to do what you're thinking of.

I had this issue when i did the characture of Kiwi awhile ago. His source photo lighting was not what i wanted, so i simply painted in the lighting the way i wanted it to look. A soft brush, some B&W paint, and diddling with layer Opacity should start you in the right direction.

TIP: Softlight blend mode works well for this.

murphyz

Thanks for the info. I definitely need more practice with this - shall keep plugging away at it :perfect:

Cheers

Mxx