What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Realistic lighting in photographs

murphyz

Hello,

I'm having trouble with the lighting when pasting an image from one photograph into another...obviously with different light sources and colour in the facial features.

I can get the shadows how I like them, just the lighting. I have been playing around with the lighting effects, albeit unsuccessfully, and think this is where I need to improve. Other areas, such as the channels, I have used but cannot seem to get right - along with an attempt to take a prominent colour from the photo to act as a colour mask for the imported layer.

I was wondering if you had any hints or a link to a tutorial where I can learn more about how to use the lighting filter more efficiently.

Cheers

Mxx

I would suggest you try painting the highlights/shadows in manually on the subject Murph. The lighting effects filter is not designed to do what you're thinking of.

I had this issue when i did the characture of Kiwi awhile ago. His source photo lighting was not what i wanted, so i simply painted in the lighting the way i wanted it to look. A soft brush, some B&W paint, and diddling with layer Opacity should start you in the right direction.

TIP: Softlight blend mode works well for this.

Thanks for the info. I definitely need more practice with this - shall keep plugging away at it :perfect:

Cheers

Mxx

Back