What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reduce brightness on a certain location with CS2

TeodoraP

In CS5 I know there's an option in Curves which helps you to lower the brightness on a single specific part of an image, but I don't think it's available in CS2 as well. So, how I can reduce that white, annoying brightness on a single part of a photograph and not ruin it whole?

Perhaps what you are remembering are "layer masks". Google {photoshop "layer masks"}.

Where the mask for a layer is black, that layer won't contribute to the final image, whereas if it's white in some area, it will contribute 100% in that area.

So, one way to darken a specific area of an image is to put a "curves adjustment layer" at the top of your layer stack, make the curve lay substantially below the diagonal, and manually paint white into those portions of the image that you want to darken.

There are lots and lots of other ways to have a similar effect. Perhaps others will chime in with their favorite techniques.

HTH,

Tom M

Tom said:
So, one way to darken a specific area of an image is to put a "curves adjustment layer" at the top of your layer stack, make the curve lay substantially below the diagonal, and manually paint white into those portions of the image that you want to darken.
I agree with Tom.

This is the technique I would use which is similar to Toms!
I would create a Curves adjustment layer above the image.
Pull the curve downwards to darken the entire image, but concentrate on the area you you really wish to darken, in my example it would be the pole.
Highlight the mask of the Curves Adjustment layer (white brackets around mask) and hit Command/Control + I to invert the mask. Mask will go from white to black.
Then use the Brush Tool (or any of the selection tools), set to White, to mask the area you wish to darken.

In this GIF, I want to make the Pole of the sign darker.....

DarkenWithCALMask_01.gif

edit: I forgot to mention that at any time you wish to darken the masked area (pole) more or less, just change the Curves Adjustment layer.

Last edited:

Back