What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remove bridge

sukunahikona998

Hi!

I took a pic of this river but the white part of the bridge that's visible has been bugging me and I've been trying to remove it somehow, but the progress I've made is not very satisfactory since the shadows are odd.

Here's a step by step showcase of how I did this:

Original
82kaa9y.2.jpg

Step 1
HYAZPwh2.jpg

Step 2
C3zgx7K2.jpg

Step 3
fpUw1CT.2.jpg

Final
UrqHHqU.2.jpg

If you zoom in, you can see the textures are obviously just slapped onto the whole thing and there are parts that are blurry that I'm not sure how to fix, especially on the right side. The bushes on the right as well.
Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 1.22.01 PM.png

I'm wondering if there's a way to fix this and remove the bridge in a more logical/professional way that would give a more natural result.

Thanks in advance!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's a step by step showcase of how I did this
Thanks for the images they are informative. Could you please describe what tools or methods you used. As in, was this all a content aware technique?

My first opinion is that you should have copied and borrowed, then used the Clone Stamp Tool for the details.

Here I have made a selection of the river.
I then used Cmd/Cntrl + J to make 3 copies.
Turn the top 2 copies off.
Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 1.38.51 PM.png

I then used the Move Tool to position the 1rst copied/borrowed selection.
I used Free Transform to make the Copy match the pattern of the river.
Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 1.41.15 PM.png

Next I added a layer mask to the 1rst copy.
I used the Brush Tool with a soft round brush to blend the 1rst copy layer into the original.
Now I have to repeat the same technique with the remaining borrowed selection copies to remove the remaining bridge and clean up the treeline.
Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 1.43.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 1.44.25 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Repeating the "Borrowing" steps from above, I use the 2 remaining copied layers with layer masking to remove as much of the bridge as possible.
Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 1.53.09 PM.png

I only have a little of the Bridge left over in the right lower corner!
Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 2.03.59 PM.png

Now I created a merged visible copy (Shift+Opt/Alt+Cmd/Cntrl+E).
Then add a new layer for the Clone Stamp Work.
Use the clone Stamp Tool to eliminate the remaining Bridge and remove any repetitive cloning!

Results
Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 2.09.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 2.07.25 PM.png

sukunahikona998

Thanks for the images they are informative. Could you please describe what tools or methods you used. As in, was this all a content aware technique?

My first opinion is that you should have copied and borrowed, then used the Clone Stamp Tool for the details.

Here I have made a selection of the river.
I then used Cmd/Cntrl + J to make 3 copies.
Turn the top 2 copies off.
View attachment 137609

I then used the Move Tool to position the 1rst copied/borrowed selection.
I used Free Transform to make the Copy match the pattern of the river.
View attachment 137610

Next I added a layer mask to the 1rst copy.
I used the Brush Tool with a soft round brush to blend the 1rst copy layer into the original.
Now I have to repeat the same technique with the remaining borrowed selection copies to remove the remaining bridge and clean up the treeline.
View attachment 137611
View attachment 137612

First of all, I gotta say THANKS for the explanation, your result is amazing. Believe it or not, a lot of this was done in MS Paint. What I essentially did was I took the original pic and cut out a very small fragment of the river, then saved it. I then opened the original picture again in MS paint and just slapped the cut out fragment of the river onto the bridge part multiple times so as to cover it. I would also resize the fragment where I could. After covering the bridge (pic #2), I opened photoshop and simply used the spot healing brush tool and set it to content-aware and played around with that for a while too, trying to blend everything together. The result was pic #3. I then once again did the same thing, opened the pic in paint, only this time I took another fragment of the river, which was dark green, and covered the right side of the picture with that because that side was darker and it wouldn't stand out as much. In other words, yes, I only used the spot healing brush content-aware tool to try and blend everything together, but the results weren't perfect.
By the way, would it be possible for you to post a hi-res version of your final result? It's seriously amazing.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
By the way, would it be possible for you to post a hi-res version of your final result? It's seriously amazing.
Sorry, I usually don't keep the demo files for long and I have already deleted the PSD file!

Believe it or not, a lot of this was done in MS Paint.
Due to the fact that you posted this in a Photoshop Forum, I naturally assumed that you were needing help in getting a logical, professional, and natural result in Photoshop! If you are not familiar with or using Ps, then I wasn't much help!

If you just want someone to do this for you, please post a request in the free edit forum. It's for edits only and not a help forum. Where we are now in the General Ps Board is where you ask for help in doing the edit for yourself.

sukunahikona998

Sorry, I usually don't keep the demo files for long and I have already deleted the PSD file!

Due to the fact that you posted this in a Photoshop Forum, I naturally assumed that you were needing help in getting a logical, professional, and natural result in Photoshop! If you are not familiar with or using Ps, then I wasn't much help!

If you just want someone to do this for you, please post a request in the free edit forum. It's for edits only and not a help forum. Where we are now in the General Ps Board is where you ask for help in doing the edit for yourself.
OH! Sorry about that, I could've sworn I posted this in the free photoshop requests thread. My bad.