What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing red sunset rays across people : colour distortion

claireybear

Hi everyone!

Totally new to Photoshop and trying to edit some photos and print them for my DIY wedding invitations. Was wondering if anyone can help me and tell me how I can get rid of the red sunlight rays on the back legs of the two people in the pictures?
I know how to do it on the sand areas with the spot repair tools but it wont work on the smaller areas of the people :rolleyes: resolution isn't great so that probably doesn't help.

I've uploaded a few of the photos as we took quite a number but the same thing occurred in all of them :cry: .
I only need to be able to rectify it in one of the photos!

Please can anyone tell me how to do this?! So stuck and would appreciate anyone's ideas or advice :lol:

Thank you in advance!

Photo 12-10-2013 18 24 54.jpgPhoto 12-10-2013 18 24 39.jpg20131012_182816.jpg

There are numerous ways to do that I just did it using patch tool. desaturation spongethey came out really nice I used the patch tool on longer strip of red coming from behind them to the foreground just a few minutes

sample.jpg

Screen Shot 2013-10-18 at 7.21.06 PM.png

oh, I also used the smudge tool in color mode and about 50% to get color back into the desaturated area

Last edited:
Thank you so much! The editing you've done looks amazing!:lol:

I was wondering if I could ask you a big favour and if you could just jot down the step by step instructions of how to get to that point please?:idea:

It's just I had tried using the patch tool before on the legs/trousers of the people and it didn't work: it didn't pick up and transfer the colour from the good area, so I don't know if I had some of my settings wrong or something?!:rolleyes: And could you explain the bit for me about the bit of sunlight that comes from behind them??
Sorry! I am so new to this!

Also when you say use the smudge tool, which bit did you smudge and how did that affect it?

"...And could you explain the bit for me about the bit of sunlight that comes from behind them??..."

It's called "lens flare". It's very common when there is a strong light source in the frame. It comes from light bouncing around inside the lens of your camera: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_flare

HTH,

Tom M

There are thousands of tutorials out there about using the patch tool, the desaturation spongeand color smudge . I suggest you use those terms to search for tutorials, for those processes. I am not a teacher nor a tutorial maker.. others on here are much better at describing step by step then I, hopefully somebody will step to the plate for you and most likely you'll find other ways to do it, there are plenty ways to get there.
I'm not very skilled with the search engines on this site, personally I don't care for it but if you try that you might find a tutorial relating to these needs, right here in psg

Back