What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific [Resize large image]

igi7

Hi all,

Briefly, I need a professional hand with my file.

I have created a diagram relating to Ancient Greece by using lucidchart.com. The effect via that platform is great! Same about getting it via pdf reader. However, I would like to promote it via a PNG file that will be easily accessible to everyone. The struggle is PNG has 47833 x 11996 dimensions. I can't share with you the PNG version because of too huge size of a file (9.8 MB). I already limited a lot of space by changing it via lucidchart.com, but it's not enough.

I spent a lot of time for resizing it online, but it doesn't work effectively. Just one of them somehow reduced the size by 50%, but the quality is poor. I'm receiving a negative result for using each different website.

My goal is to publish it effectively to encourage people to further studying!
Thank you for your time & help.

I'm attaching a PDF.

Attachments

• CV Ancient Greece Timeline.pdf
    879.6 KB · Views: 7

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi igi7
I may not sure of your end user needs well enough. Your file is in vector format inside the PDF file and PDF Reader is available to anyone. Your complete vector files is smaller that 1MB so why not just let you end user open the PDF file with Adobe Reader. They can just zoom in with no degradation of the image.
Most browsers support a link to a PDF reader as well.
If you want direct support in a browser, you could also convert to SVG file format and that will open up in virtually all browsers.
So maybe the above helps and maybe not. If not, please describe the user base and how you think they are going to view your image (browser or some other software). I just may be confused yet not even sure why you want a PNG file.
The reason may be obvious yet it seems to elude me.
Thanks for the extra info
John Wheeler

igi7

Thank you John

Your message gave me fresh thoughts.
I have saved into SVG according to your comment. Honestly, I'm not feeling confident to use that format ( I've googled and watched a few videos and they require to play with the script of a file).

The aim is to reach as many people as possible ( academia and hobby) practically & technically, so that's I thought PNG file is the best option because it enables us to show the file in google images.

I'm happy about PDF ( e.g. it allows the user to download the file), but I'm not certain how to promote it. Do you know any methods on how to share it with people from that point? I may add into e.g. google disc and receive a link, but I think it might be not searchable.

I already added a file on Imgur (blurry version) that gives an idea of what the file contains with a link below that directs into easyzoom.com.

I understand that the concern might not be fully relating to Photoshop from that point. However, any advice is welcome.

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi igi7
First let me say that the information that has been gathered and put together is quite amazing so see it all in one place.
You are right, this is not really a Photoshop problem and I am no expert on web design or the best way to broadly share information to the world.
Using a link on a file sharing site makes it quite available and if you are concerned about individuals not have a PDF reader, you can include a link to the location to easily download a copy.

I do have one piece of advice to consider. When I work on a major project for some time, it is very easy for me to get tunnel vision. It is very easy to me to see the details and beauty of what I am working on while at the same time I can overlook errors or usability issues.

I would suggest that you provide your information to a select set of people that could give you feedback on the content, form, and format of the information along with the goals you are hoping to achieve.

I don't know what would be most valuable to your average end user, yet for me, the huge PDF file where once has to zoom in and out is quite cumbersome and gets in the way of absorbing the great including material. I would have much rather had a multipage PDF document where I could read the information without zooming yet still including all the graphic elements that tie it together.

The continuity of all in one timeline has some appeal yet I could much more easily live with it broken down into segments and just page forward and backwards. I am sure there are experts on how to best share and display similar content as yours, so seeking out such advice is what I suggest.

Great information and obviously a ton of work so hope you take this feedback in the best light. I think your goal is to share this great knowledge to the largest number of interested people and have provided this feedback in that light.
Hope this helps
John Wheeler

Dormeur74

Power User
May be the technology Prodibi could help. When I want to show a very large file because many details are necessary, I use it.
If you follow the following link you will see where I live and if you zoom at 100% in the image, you can find my bedroom. I forgot to switch off the lamp :). The size of this pano is about 120 Mb and you have not to load the document to analyse it.