What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saving layers as seperate files with one persistent layer

James Ward

I have a few layers and one overlay. I would like to be able to export all the layers to separate png's however can I do that with one persistent layer that is saved with every other one?

Hi James...

If i understand you correctly you'll need to leave the persistent layer visible as well as each of the other layers individually. Then save them out one-at-a-time.

For example... make visible ONLY Layer 1 + persistent layer, then save. Hide Layer 1, turn on Layer 2 + persistent layer, then save. Hide Layers 1 and 2, turn on Layer 3 + persistent layer, then save.

Lather rinse repeat, til done.

Hope that helps.

Mark (aka theKeeper)...

This sort of thing can be automated using a script.
What version of Photoshop are you using?
Does your pdf contain layersets?
Is the persistant layer the same for each psd you want to do this to? (same position)
Do you want all other layers saved to png with the persistant layer or just selected layers?
Where do the new PNG's need to be saved, same location as the main psd or a relative location?

I could try to put something together if you could supply answers to the above.

This sort of thing can be automated using a script.
What version of Photoshop are you using?
Does your pdf contain layersets?
Is the persistant layer the same for each psd you want to do this to? (same position)
Do you want all other layers saved to png with the persistant layer or just selected layers?
Where do the new PNG's need to be saved, same location as the main psd or a relative location?

I could try to put something together if you could supply answers to the above.

Hi there, that's exactly what I'm looking to do. I'm using CS5 - I know there's the 'export to layers' script and I've played around with scripts before but I don't have the time at the moment as I'm on the clock! (and this isn't strictly my job role!)

In one case I have one overlay that needs to be on top of each layer - I have converted each layer group to smart objects so there are effectively individual layers, but I need the overlay to be consistent hence not having a different overlay in each layer group. This also means that I only have to change the overlay once if it needs editing.

In another case I have a background which needs to be underlayed under 15 different layer groups (which have been converted to smart objects). Again, this needs constant editing and tweaking so I have kept it as its own layer to ensure I don't have to edit it 15 times each time mgmt want a change.

I realise something like InDesign would probably be better for this, but we don't have the license for that and the company are unwilling to pay for one.

Thanks for your help in advance, I know I can do all this manually but this would save me a stack of time!

Additional:

would be good to be able to save them each as PDFs too, not in the same action, but to have the option to do so.

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier but the grandkids were attacking me!
I have started on a script, it is not yet halfway but should still support saving with top or bottom layer.
I have still to do support for LayerSets and saves to different formats (only PNG supported at the moment)
It would be great if you could to a test and give some coments/suggestions.

Attachments

• Layer Saver.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Excellent! Thank you, I shall give it a whirl, might take a gander through to learn what it is that it's achieving.

Ace work commander

I have updated the zip file. It now supports LayerSets and the files can now be saved as PNG/PSD/PDF or TIF
The menu auto changes depending if LayerSets exist in the document.

I have updated the zip file. It now supports LayerSets and the files can now be saved as PNG/PSD/PDF or TIF
The menu auto changes depending if LayerSets exist in the document.

I've been using this a LOT recently, thank you so much!!! (Sorry it's taken so long to reply!)

I'd love to be able to write these, how much experience have you had? I'd ideally like to modify this to allow the 'top layer' and 'bottom layer' to be layer sets, and also if possible to keep both the top and bottom layer sets/layers, would anyone know what I would have to alter?

Additionally this plug-in/script should be hosted somewhere and made public as it's an incredibly slick one. My only other comments would be that when the options are greyed out it should say why (in this instance) it is greyed out.

Last edited:
i Know this thread is old but i have been looking EVERYWHERE for a script to do what is suggested in next to last post and cant find anywhere :(

Is it not possible to export selected layers to keep both the top and bottom layer sets/layers?

I have an icon set im trying to export and have a icon base and icon top and icons in between

Back