What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

shadow help

dustinwronka

I am trying to reveal the shadows of my photo in the poster I'm creating on a brick wall. How do I reveal the shadows over the poster to make it look realistic? Any help is greatly appreciatedbrick wall.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome.

Have you tried changing the blending mode of the "poster layer"?

dustinwronka

I have and then it makes look very unrealistic. There is also details in the tree that I want laying over top the poster. I have used displacement, and I have also adjusted the blending options of the poster and text layer.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Is there anyway you can upload or link us to the PSD file?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Something like this?

I first created a selection of the area and turned off all other layers....
Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 1.41.14 PM.png

I then created and edited an alpha channel to improve the selection of the tree, it's shadow, and the other shadows....
Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 1.53.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 1.25.26 PM.png

I applied the alpha channel to a new layer mask.
The shadow masking was too strong so I added a selection of the sign to contain masking.
Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 1.43.18 PM.png

I then used the Brush Tool and a soft brush with a 1% flow setting set to white to gently lighten the shadows on the layer mask and reveal the sign.
Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 1.43.34 PM.png

I then added back the edge wear on the sign. I did this very fast, it could use some fine tuning.
Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 3.09.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 1.53.16 PM.png

Alpha Channel Masking.

Masking with channels.

Using channel to make better selections in Adobe Photoshop.

How to mask hair in Photoshop.

ADVANCED Hair selection - Masking hair in Photoshop.

Last edited: