What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

shiny paint???

A Squarecan

Hey Every one,

I have been surfing the site for some time now and i decided i would join. I know somethings about photoshop and i am always playing with cars and trucks on photoshop(ex. lowered,chopped,shaved....) but i cant get a nice looking paint :( It always looks liek a flat primer. I usually paint a truck with creating a new layer overlay the color of choice and then use the blending tool.
I did this for a friend and i am not happy with it at all.

28956705.gif

it just looks to dull any help will be great.

Thanks
Keith

Welcome :perfect:

Nice work :)

Contrast is what you are missing.Make a duplicate layer and hit auto contrast :),or you can try hard light,or just experiment with the blend modes,but contrast is what you are looking for :)

hth

Stu.

Contrast and highlights like kiwi said. The lusture of the paint is what is alluding you. Follow Kiwi's advice and you'll find a good point! :}
KOP

Hey guys thanks,

I went and played with it and came up with....
29143039.gif

I have seen you guys talk about glass things, I have not looked about how to do it but can i use this effect in my paint? or does it not work liek that?

Thanks again
Keith

Welcome to the forum A Squarecan!

Looks like you have all the info that you need now to add even more 'shine' to your paint jobs! ;)

:perfect: Noticeable improvement already (using contrast) on your second post.

Enjoy the lessons and laughter to be had around here! :D

I couldnt resist trying to see if I could improve the paint.Paint is a bit over staurated biut it looks a bit better,needs another pic as a reflection :)

Stu.

In my opinion, you'll always get stuck because of the limit of our 24bit colours. Even 48 (64 sounds more important but refers to CMYK) won't do the job.

When the sun is shining and I look at a white car, I'll still see a big diff between the highlight and tha normal sunshine bright white. HDRI in a 3D app might do the job...
Limited as we are, we should fake by making everything a tad darker so that our bright white (255,255,255) will appear to be lighter.
It's like drawing a white egg on a white sheet of paper.

The paint contains a lot of noise and the colours are filthy. That's one of the reasons why the image doesn't look shiny.
Take for example a brand new car. Doesn't it look shiny? What happens with that shine if you drive on a dusty road or on a highway every day... yes, the car loses it's shine. So in a way we have to do a car wash first :D

In my example I added the colours on separate layers using the screen blending mode. That was already an improvement. You might also consider to remove some noise.
The next step could be to use a curves adjustment to create a better contrast between the shadows and highlights. And the last step would be some little retouching to bring out some more highlights and/or reflections.

Getting a car to shine can be a real pain. With cars, you are actually seeing two sets of specular. One comes from the paint itself. The other is from wax or over-coating or something.

I just happen to have a link. It's for Max, but the idea is solid. Start with one set of specular, then shellac, or wax, another one on top of it. The material used in Max is actually called Shellac.

http://www.danielbuck.net/paint_tut/painttut.htm

For doing this in PhotoShop, you will need two Layers.

I haven't tried it, but I imagine it would go something like this:
1. Copy the vehicle.
2. Set blending mode to Overlay.
3. Tweak to taste with Curves or Levels.
4. Copy vehicle again and order it to the top.
5. Set blending mode to Screen.
6. Tweak to taste with Curves or Levels.

Chances are the Overlay layer will be too strong, or big. Might have to recycle the colour information for a mask.

Gave it a few minutes.
Could use some more work, though.
Tweak here, tweak there.
Blast some noise.
I would also be better to fiddle with if the texture and the vehicle are seperate.

Why, I'm half tempted to make a D-Map to wrap the texture to the hood.

Back to the salt mine.

I've got too many Displace techniques. Quite a few of them are not on my site. They are still in my head just waiting to be unleashed. I hate it when something comes up with something that involves one of my unspoken tricks.

:sigh:

For putting a texture on the truck, you would think that Edit > Transform > Distort would work well. But it doesn't. First of all, you have to start with a square. Second, there are corners where 3 planes on the target meet to deal with. Add those two together and Distort just won't cut it.

Imagine you have two quadralaterals of any shape. The corners of both can be anywhere you want. Now imagine being able to transform a texture on one into the shape of the other. With several sets of such quadralaterals, you can seamlessly wrap a texture to corner on a cube.

I did a real quick and sloppy example with the truck. Not the greatest example - I only did the front and it only has primary motion. However, the motion is correct and conforms to a corner. Doing just this, even in such a sloppy manner, is quite involved.

That is sweet,

:perfect:

Thanks for all the help I have been playing around ith what you guys have said.

Thanks again
keith

ok guys i went back and playe dsome i think i may have gone a litle biut in the wrong direction. I think it doesnt look real any more :( And i attempted my very first reflection/shawdow ;) doesnt look right but i am on my way i think.
Any tips now?

Thanks for all the help
Keith
29198944.gif

almost forgot the pic lol :} [/img]

Nice work guys :perfect:

Stroker......No fair I was gonna try a custom paintjob but ya beat me to it :( :D ......nice job I might add..

Can I call you Keith?,is that cool?

Ok the color layer you have added is to opaque or thick,ie 100% over the car,but what we want is some of the original showing through,so set your color layer to softlight,overlay,color or even hardlight and try from 10 to around 60%,maybe less actually,you see when you go to high the under detail dissapears :)

The reflection should not really require any transforming as I believe {might be wrong here} it would just be flip vertical basically and position.If it was a shadow then the shadow would need to conform to the shape of the floor and lie flat against it.

Keep at er :)

Stu.

I think Erik hit the nail on the head when he said we dont have enough shades to work with to extend the color enough to make it really sharp.

I have another plan actually it might work I dunno,will test it.

Stu.

Kiwi,

Thanks for the extra little Bit.

Yes, feel free to call me Keith

Keith...

Doesn't the original truck already have highlights on it? There's no need to make this more work than it need be. [honesty]

Here's an example, whereby you see the same car in 2 colours. The original red version has plenty oh highlights and reflections on it already, so i simply add a new layer above it, create a tight selection of the body areas (not like my grossly sloppy one here!), and fill the selection with my new colour/texture. Then just change the layer's Blend Mode to Hue or Color. Hue is a truer effect though.

For textures, you can use another blend mode, such as screen or hardlight. The original highlights though should still be visible.

And btw... the only good way i can see to make that flag "hug" the curves is to dupe that layer several times, and transform those dupes so that they're laying on the body in the proper perspectives. Then you can apply a dMap of the truck to the flag layers. Afterward, use layer masks to trim away unwanted sections.

Get it? :B

Thanks, ya i get what you are saying and thats how i usually paint them, but this is primer grey so very dull.

Back