What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D Showcase For Steampunk Devices

Eggy

Retired Moderator
That's a beauty Chris! :thumbsup:

You had to invent 12 machines!
I understand the 30 hrs work...

Thanks Lambert, I really appreciate your feedback.

There are maybe 10 pieces I had do design, and 3 pieces I used form previous jobs.
The difficult part was the 'arrangement' for each of the 12 machines in it's own box.
But I quite like the similar look of each machine, because the result is a nicely balanced image.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
It is nicely balanced Chris.

Maybe next time use the ready machines in an eerie dark hall, just an idea...

Well...that's a good suggestion Lambert, arranged in a circular hall like a 'walk in' clock?!:thumbsup:

fredfish

Guru
I personally prefer the stone surrounds you have just done (my favourite being the first of the two). I hesitate to say this because it is such a great composition but in the first one with the bricks it sort of feels like the bricks are the wrong way round (IE vertically laid rather than horizontally).

However as I said this is a great, stunning image! :)

Cheers

John

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Nice variation Chris!
I like the first new one more.
Now its time for a post-apocalyptic hall scene with eerie light!

I personally prefer the stone surrounds you have just done (my favourite being the first of the two). I hesitate to say this because it is such a great composition but in the first one with the bricks it sort of feels like the bricks are the wrong way round (IE vertically laid rather than horizontally).

However as I said this is a great, stunning image! :)

Cheers

John

Thank you John for your feedback. I really appreciate it.
And of course you're right, the bricks are 'wrong' like that.:redface::banghead:

Nice variation Chris!
I like the first new one more.
Now its time for a post-apocalyptic hall scene with eerie light!

Thanks Lambert, I agree, this one looks better.
Though to create a post-apocalyptic hall scene is about as difficult as I would try to climb Mt. Everest tomorrow. But I'll give it a serious thought anyway.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
A concrete floor with two rows of 'machines', and two walls, one with an open door with a strong light coming through that door.
The machines are not the most important and will not all be in the light but the atmosphere created...

Just an idea Chris, but I wouldn't impose you the work...:cheesygrin:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
That I like! :thumbsup:

I assume there's some PS postprocessing involved?

Thanks Lambert.
No, just Blender. I used this background image of Aaron Limmonick and put my machines on top of it.
A weird way to combine 3D mages with a 2D image.

thelastofus_environment_laundromat_by_aaron_limonick.jpg

Eggy

Retired Moderator
As you know you can set a plane to emission mode, making of it a kind of light
More important is that you can use a part of that plane/picture by selecting the window/door part using the knife tool, add new material (+) and only set that part to emission.
That way you have a real light extra making the machines lit from behind

Well thanks Lambert for the good suggestions. I certainly could have done it this way.

But in this case I didn't even try to change the lighting of my machines . I just imagined a light source from the ceiling on the back of the room.
I had to solve so many problems here first, mainly in the composite of the Limonick image.
If you look closely at his composite there are al sorts of faulty perspective parts, and there seem to be different light sources as well.
I had to 'straighten' his image first to suit my needs. I also adjusted the colors and brightened the image.

In Blender I reduced the color intensity of my machines so the would fit more or less into my new composite. The arrangement of the machine parts in my new composite was difficult enough, with a lot of perspective guesswork involved.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I agree that combining 2D and 3D is not easy and more a quest for the right way.

In Blender V 2.79 there will be a new kind of plug-in, the shadow catcher, making it possible to match the perspective of a white plane with an existing background picture.
The 3D object placed on that plane will cast a shadow on the white plane.
Using the alpha channels the white plane will disappear leaving only the shadow casted in the right perspective on the background picture.

It does exist already but I never tried it before because of a lack of time ect...