What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Grid Template

Clixer3

How Do I Create a Specific Grid Template That Restricts Movement/Color From One Grid/Panel to the Next?

Created this account just to ask this question.. I want to create a grid template where the lines are rigidly set. What I’m hoping for is that, if I insert a picture, it should only populate one of the created grids, without spilling over into another grid. Also, most importantly, I do not want to resize the picture, I want the full image to populate a specific grid, and I want to be able to move/drag around the full resolution picture only within that grid. I’m hoping this makes sense. To illustrate further, if I ran a line down the middle of a newly created photoshop workspace, I would then hope to place two images within this space, one on the right, one on the left. I wouldn’t want to resize each picture to fit into each respect grid/panel. I want the pictures to be obscured and out of view, and I want to drag the full resolution picture around the grid so only the part I want shows. Also, how do I color only part of the background? Can I create a grid layout so when I use the bucket tool I only color the panel I choose instead of the entire screen? I've attached a picture of a random example I found that somewhat illustrates what I am trying to do, bisecting the work space so I can essentially put different pictures and colors on each side without them effecting the other side. Please assist me if you understand what I’m trying to say because I’m struggling right now..

image0.jpeg

hawkeye

Guru
I don't know how experienced you are with Photoshop, but...
I'd add a photo, and convert it to a smart object, then add a vector mask to create a section. Un-link the vector mask so the image can be moved independently with the move tool.
Do the same thing for each section on it's own layer.
When you want to replace a photo, right click the layer and select Replace Contents, then move or resize the image as needed.

Screenshot 2021-01-21 122056.jpg

Clixer3

Hello, thanks for taking the time to reply. Not experienced at all but a quick enough learner, I'll try to follow what you suggested, thank you so much!

Clixer3

Wow you did such a good job I didn't even realize you put two different pictures into the original I'm cracking up right now hahahaha

polarwoc

Guru
then add a vector mask to create a section
Hawkeye demonstrated an excellent technique of using a Vector Mask to realise your aim.

However, I would recommend a slightly different way. Instead of applying the same mask on the new images, I would recommend clipping your images to the selections which gives you some degree of freedom with resizing the image to show more without having to unclip the mask. Following is the result:
1.png

Since you said you are a beginner and a fast learner, I will include the steps of how to do the above.

1) Open your image, select the Top Left portion using your favoured selection tool. In this instance, I used Polygonal Lasso Tool.

2) Once selection is made, create a new Solid Colour Layer which will fill the selection and create a new layer. Make sure to select a colour that contrasts the foreground colour because you have to make sure the background is fully covered up.

3) Now get your image, place it on top of the Solid Colour Layer and clip it by right clicking and selecting "Create Clipping Mask". Now, you would be able to see your image only within the window defined. Now you can resize, readjust, move this image until it looks good - but making sure that this image fully covers the background (that is why a contrasting colour for Solid Colour Layer was recommended).

4) Do the same as above for the three other sections and you are done. Later, if any readjustment is needed or image needs to be changed, it is easy.

Any questions on anything explained so far, you can ask until you are clear. All the best.