What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D Split Coffee Mug

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Another experiment to find out how PS 3D works:

split mug.jpg

I mentionned coffee but it could even be hot chocolate.
:cheesygrin:

I think this is the 10th version and honestly I'm still not happy with it.
No need to say that only the mug was rendered and the rest was added later.

This is not spectacular work but I need to practice to find out how all objects relate to each other.

I think the two mug parts look ok. Even the reflections on the table look nice. Did you do it yourself in PS?

Just the spilled liquid looks artificial.
All in all it's a very good job Eggy, wouldn't know how to do this myself.
I think our eyes are just not accustomed to look at a split mug, we are more used to look at a broken mug.
Maybe this it what feels a bit strange about your image.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thanks for the observations Chris.
It may sound weird but I only rendered the mug with reflection and shadow, on a transparent background.
During the relatively short time to render I saw a shadow and a reflection appear and when the rendering was done there was hardly a difference.
So I did what I explained earlier this week, I went to 'essentials' made the rendered layer active and clicked ctrl+thumbnail to select the mug with shadow and reflection. I pressed ctrl+J to put this on his own layer.
It still looked funny on a transparent background. So I made a new layer below and filled it with a black and white gradient. Suddenly my shadows and reflection were as you can see them now.
I found that spilled liquid image on the net and added it on top of the gradient background and made some other adjustments like the dripping coffee on the mug, dropping the botton of the mug into the coffee ect...
I agree, the spilled liquid looks a bit artificial and maybe I will look for another 'spilled liquid' image.
And yes, I like making unconventional stuff. People have to look at least twice at the image.

MrToM

Guru
Nice work Eggy......but just some questions....(you knew there would be! :biglaff: )

First....no big deal but you keep saying 'essentials' but this is just a workspace layout.....how does this affect anything apart from just changing to the default workspace?

Second.....how did you fill in the 'edges' of the mug where its split?

Third.....did you deliberately add the caustics or did it just do it auto?

Impressive whichever.....I didn't know PS would do that.

Regards.
MrToM.

EDIT:
Scrub that last one....its a reflection, not caustics.....stand easy.

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
:cheesygrin: I actually expected this.
Give me a couple of minutes to prepare my explaination in pictures because my English is not exactly the best.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Here it come, especially for you MrTom.

I made the mug in the 3D workspace (obviously)(1)
Then I select the 3D object (the mug), press CTRL+thumbnail and then CTRL+J to place the selection on a new layer.
I deselect the 3D layer to prevent alterations to it causing loss of the rendering!!!
After that I choose for the 'essentials' workspace giving me more options to continue in PS.
Here's the chronology of the work:

Make the 3D object and render (in my case on a transparent background!)
At that time only the 3D layer was visible, the others were added later.
The reflections looks weird isn't it?
Untitled-1.jpg

Select and duplicate the 3D layer and deselect the original 3D layer.
Untitled-2.jpg

Swich to 'essentials' workspace.
Add a gradient background and suddenly the reflection appears
Untitled-3.jpg

Add coffee spil background and coffee drip
Untitled-4.jpg

I made a snapshot and made the image more brownish
Untitled-5.jpg

That is the front inflation and front bevel option (green) for the two parts of the mug (forgot to name them) and I select only them and use a stone 'material'.(red)
Untitled-6.jpg

This was the way I made this.
Maybe there's another way and I will hear it after this.

MrToM

Guru
...I actually expected this...
..and I didn't let you down!

Thanks for the run-down, appreciated.....but.....(You knew it was coming!)

How did you FILL the edges of the mug where it splits?

You've kind of skipped the bit I was most interested in....creating the mug in the first place.

Sorry to be a pain but this is something I've never found out how to do using the regular methods.....not in PS 3D anyway.

Thanks again.

Regards.
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Now I'm confused Tom.
Do you mean the 'white and speckled' edge of the cut of part of the mug?

MrToM

Guru
Now I'm confused Tom.
Do you mean the 'white and speckled' edge of the cut of part of the mug?
Sorry Eggy.

Yes mate...that's exactly what I mean.

In pro 3D packages the 'mug' would be hollow....the inside being one part and the outside being another....or what is called a 'Shell'.

The gaps, (or holes), at the ends would then be 'Capped'....creating a solid object.

Those speckled 'edges' would be the 'Cap'.

In the 3D package I use its easy to do....it has a button called 'Cap' but in PS I couldn't see an equivalent....so I'm curious to know how you 'Capped' those holes in PS.

Its a common 'process' in 3D and you've nailed it ......but how?

Regards.
MrTom.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Tom, look at the last picture in my message #6.

When choosing the 'material'I chosed 'stone pattern' standard in PS 3Dfor the 'front inflation material and the bevel inflation material'. That is the white and specked face but there are way more materials to choose from.If you want I can prepare you a little tutorial in image with how I made the 3/4 mug.

MrToM

Guru
Sorry....I'm probably not making myself clear.

The material is irrelevant.....but in order to put a material on that face you need a face to start with.

I guess it doesn't make sense to you knowing how you made the two parts....but of course 'we' don't know how you did that.....was it one mug which you really did 'split' or two....and adjusted each one to suit?

I'm assuming the 'mug' was once 'whole' and you literally split it into two parts.....leaving a hole at the edge which needs to be filled.

That's how I would have done it in my 3D app but now I'm guessing this is not how you did it in PS.

So yes...I guess I'm asking how you made the two mug parts in the first place.....this is what you didn't explain before, you started with the mug already made.

Sorry for the confusion....my inglish is rubbish too! (No excuse)

Regards.
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Tom, I'm going to add a serie of screenshots how I made the 3/4 mug, I think that would be the easiest thing to do...

Open new document (1000 x1000 72 px) 50% grey.
Untitled-1.jpg

Place some guidelines to draw HALF the mug (cross section)
With pen draw the contour of the cross section
Untitled-2.jpg

Make a selection of it and place on new layer (CTRL+J)
Untitled-3.jpg

Select 3D extrusion and create
Untitled-4.jpg

Click 'deform' panel and in horizontal 270° (3/4 of 360°) and make the extrusion fit (no holes in the bottom of the mug!)
Untitled-5.jpg

Select extrusion material
Untitled-6.jpg

Select front AND back bevel and inflation material and choose a material.
Untitled-7.jpg

I activated the grey background so you can see what it became.
Untitled-8.jpg

In addition there are manipulations for the light, reflections, shine, bump material ect...

MrToM

Guru
Ah....that explains everything!

Thanks for that.....I can see what you did now....very nice.

I know that as 'lathing'...I guess because it revolves around a central axis.

Regards.
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Well I forgot to add the quarter part of the mug.
Select the mug layer and rightclick and choose duplicate object.

Untitled-9.jpg

Pull the 'quarter' part to the left and go to 'deform' and adjust the horizontal value to 90° (=1/4 of 360°) and the extrusion to 140.

Untitled-10.jpg

You can now rotate both parts as you wish.

That wasn't an easy delivery, wasn't it?

:eek:

MrToM

Guru
Its was perfect mate.....the mist has cleared. :thumbsup:

Thanks again.

Regards.
MrToM.