What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Straighten tool straightens but will not crop (CS5)

azurian

Hi.

The title says it all really. When using the straighten tool in CS5, it always used to automatically crop the straightened image. Now, for some reason, it just rotates the image but will not automatically crop it.

Can anybody hazard a guess as to what I have done to change things?

Thanks.

Hi azurian

In CS5, If you open a picture and use the ruler or pen tool or to select the right alignment, then go to Image>Image rotation>arbitrary, it will indeed rotate the picture but will not crop it for you.

If you want to Photoshop automatically crop your pic after the alignment, then you need to click the button on the top menu "Straighten", that way photoshop will automatically crop the image.

Hope this helps.

Hi. Thanks for your reply.

Yes, that is exactly what I do and for months it worked fine, now it will rotate the image but not crop it.

I use the straighten (ruler) tool from the toolbar.
I draw the line along the horizon..
I click 'straighten' at the top of the window.
The image rotates with either a white background or a transparent background and I have to manually crop. OK, not a major problem, but very irritating.

I cannot work out why it used to work but does not now. Bizarre.

Back