What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The September Free For All

gare

Power User
This forum's been a tad vacant for a while...hmm, either summer's the cause, or my challemges haven't been inspiring enough.

Here's for September: integrating the synthetic with the real. Create something, or someone, in a modeling or a drawing app. Then use PS to integrate it with a photo. Use Vue, Poser...I don't care, but the finished image should be plausible.

Here's my example: the milking stool is a photo, but the cow's fake (I'm kidding).

Go to it!

Gare

gare

Power User
Re: The September Free?For?All

Welles!

The sky's from Vue, no? [shhh] Love the reflections!

Folks, Welles' got the idea, although I really like lasa and nikkie's work! :perfect: :perfect:

I forgot to say that you don't have to use my cow pic, nice as it is 8}

Here's another example: "The Empire Backs Up".

My Best,

Gare

Welles

Guru

gare said:
Welles!

The sky's from Vue, no? [shhh] Love the reflections!

Yep! It's just one of the stock preset skies from Vue with the remade water. The original photo is one of the old stock images which used to ship with Photoshop, maybe still does. :) The dog was a stock model shipped with ModelShop, Digital Element's plugin to bring 3D models directly into PS.

I'm afraid I just used stock effects this month as I've had a major computer setback...My main monitor has apparently given up the ghost and a new one hasn't arrived. My old LaCie Blue ll, while a good monitor in it's day is just too hard on the eyes. I've been spoiled by large LCDs.

Here's another example: "The Empire Backs Up".

:rofl: :} :} :}

gare

Power User

Welles, what's your setup? Can you take just about any monitor? Agreed; my old Iilyama monitor sucks compared to my lcd.

I forgot; Obi-Wan taught Luke, right? And a good student gets their reward... ;)

-g-

Welles

Guru

Gare,

I can use any monitor as I put an ATI 9800 Pro in my main computer about six or eight months ago. My main monitor for the last 5 years has been an Apple Cinema Display 22" which just up and quit a couple of days ago. I've replaced the backlights once and have a considerable familiarity with the innards so I opened it up to see if there might be any observable issue...nope. I've checked the power train as well as I can with a simple multimeter and it seems OK so I have a tech support inquiry into an LCD repair place to see if replacing the inverter will possibly solve the issue. (I could do that myself.)

In the meantime, I did some serious price comparison shopping and ordered a Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD. Shipped and tax was about $600, a real deal. There is a proverbial silver lining as I've had an interest to compare the Dell against my rather extensive experience with Apple displays. If it looks good, I think I'll try and fix the old ACD and maybe find someone who could use it cheap and get a Dell 24". In any event, I'll have my monitor issue covered for the time being when the Dell arrives next Tuesday. Eventually it will become my PC monitor.

Thanks for asking...I've wanted to complain (whine) publicly! :D

nitrobutler

Power User

Here goes mine.
The model is Mariah Carey and the chair is my first attempt with the Mesh tool in Illustrator.

gare

Power User
Ave Maria! ;)

Nitro--

Hats off to you!? 8))I believe you'll surely take 1st prize this month (NOT to discourage other submissions!).
I've not tried the Mesh feature in Illustrator, but I'm game now.

By way of example, pardon me for fussing with your post, I'd like to offer a pointer or two for grafting photos into other scenes, real or modeled/illustrated:

? The camera angles need to match. NitroButler's submission had no background for reference, so this is okay. I added scenery to the picture to first contextualize it (distracting the viewer a tad), and then to add depth. I feathered a rectangular selection, then Gaussian blurred it to de-emphasize the background and to force a little depth. I used Carrera to build the living room (clouds were added in PS with Digital Elements' Aurora 2 plug-in); it's a good idea to model and render different settings at different angles w/ different lighting for future needs.

? The lighting needs to match. Maria was just a tinch paler than the chair illustration, so I selected her (the Path tools in PS are essential to learn; anyone want me to post a tutorial?), and then ran some Levels. I did the same with the background.

? The shadows need to match. Maria's chair had a slight drop shadow, but needed a cast (perspective) shadow. I saved Maria+chair w/ transparency as a png, imported it to Xara, then simply added the cast shadow with the shadow tool, which is wonderful because it blurs the shadow progressively as perspective diminishes...but the same could be done with a little more work, manually, in PS.

? I also defringed my selection on Maria+chair, then used the Blur tool to further the integration of the foreground and background.

But the bottom line is that Nitro built a plausible image, daring to use an illustration software as opposed to a modeler/render.

I salute your talent and effort!

My Best,

Gare

gare

Power User
Gary Potter

I was originally holding a soda straw in our kitchen; the brick is a photo.

Here's what I did:

? I read too many Harry Potter books, and grew a beard.

? My wife photographed the interior and exterior of Boldt castle on the St. Lawrence Seaway, a wonderful resource for ?Goth? scenes and props.

?? Barbara also photographed a suit of armor from many angles at Sonnenberg quarter; built in 1893/95, another photo resource for New Yorkers.

?? There were velvet queue ropes all over the place at both sites. I removed them with the Clone Stamp tool.

?? I blurred the armor slightly to suggest midground focus, then blurred the background a little more.

?? The wand was modeled in trueSpace.

? The glows were done in PS; I loaded the wand as a selection, Modify>Expand, filled them on a new layer and Gaussian-blurred them. Because Gaussian blurring alters transparency on a layer, Screen mode wasn't necessary.

? I added highlights in my glasses (details, details!), and in the palm of my hand.

? I flattened and shrunk it, copied the layer, and applied the Dry Brush filter to sharpen the image, put it in Overlay mode at 45%, flattened it & exported.

My Best,

Gare

nitrobutler

Power User

Thanks Gare for the kudo's and the info :perfect:
I think it's time for me to calibrate my monitor(which I've never done before), cause while putting this together Mariah looked fine with the correct contrast density, but when I viewed it at work on a mac, Mariah was indeed washed out :{

Nikkie

Power User

Monitor calibrating ??? \:/ hmmm call me stupid but i've never done that either... ;\

BTW congrats Nitro :}

Gare as a d*** blonde... is this what you meant ???
I've never played with vectors before...

nitrobutler

Power User

Hi Nikkie, How are you ;)
As far as color calibration is goiing, I thought it'll be easy as just changing my color settings(Edit>Color settings>....) but from reading the posts on the new thread, I've got alot to learn so I'm following the other thread gare started.

Nikkie

Power User

Hi Nitro i am fine ,thanks. ;)
hmmm i think i'll check out the other thread as well ...

Gare thanks for the link? 8}

Nikkie

SnowDog

Hi everyone

Its been a while as I have been busy with life and the wife and a 2 year old. But here's one I wanted to share with you all.

http://www.pbase.com/dfastb/image/49345005

I know all you Ipod and Apple and Steve Job fans will love this one!

Take care

SnowDog

gare

Power User
Jobs for everyone

SnowDog! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ROFLPM!!

Wow, you got the fonts down, the lighting, and the bizarre touches such as the subhead!? :perfect: Why didn't you post the image instead of a link?

Leapin' Larry Ellison predicted this, for he is the Oracle. I'm not under non-disclosure now; I was a beta tester for the iGod. Here's a picture of the original design, which was revamped due to beta forum complaints that this iGod was made a little too much in the creator's image.

Outside of the beige box, I'm pretty much low-tech. I don't own a cel phone (I detest the custom rings of others' in restaurants), and for mp3s, I bought a Panasonic CD/mp3 player--I figure I saved $300+ bucks. Although the iPod is going to become Newton's Revenge, what with phone and video capabilities. I love the idea that soon, we'll be able to replace HDs with RAM in our PCs, but I fear that with all this miniaturization, iPods and PDAs are going to become an easy and costly item to lose!

False iDols and all that,
Gare

Welles

Guru

:rofl: 8D :rofl: 8D :rofl:

Hilarious! The Rasputin glare of 'ol S.J. is fabulous!