What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thought I knew

Moffi

IMG_0320.JPG

The new guy, intermediate. Been in PS for several years along with AI in architectural renderings and diagrams. Detail like this is a whole new bag. Macro to Micro. Spent 45 mins. explaining every aspect of the picture and what I was trying to achieve. Hit Submit New Thread button and was greeted with Thanks for registering. (Copied many times and it pasted numbers and letters when I tried to re-post). Took a brisk walk after that. Trying again in short hand.

This is in my "How do I do that folder". I am starting from a raw color RGB color portrait.

1:Match the pasty white skin (or close for a base). Lasso skin. Adjustments. Hue and Saturation. No luck. It's not B/W, its on the edge. It's what makes it so appealing and beautiful.
2:Imperfections in the skin to smooth it out like the skin in the picture (Unsure of the best tool to accomplish this)
3:Image>Adjustments>Highlights/Shadows
4:A Gaussian blur, or gradient wouldn't think will do this. The cheek definition and fade to black is what sells it along with the nose and eye shading.

I may be totally off on the approach. Just trying to get a game plan on how to do this. I'd like know your theory in PS on how to accomplish this beautiful yet frustrating effect.

All the Best,
Moffi

stufflol

Power User
When I am doing faces of models , I like to use after effects instead of photoshop as the masking is quite abit easier here are some of the steps you should take

1. mask the areas of the face that you would like to smooth, then you want to "remove grain" you should adjust the setting untill you get the out come you want but becareful not to overtune it as it will lose its "real" look,

2. to match the skin tones you want to mask/feather the saturation in certain areas to give it a "level" look, you could also color a layer/mask in a neutral color to get a level look

3. If you would like to add shading to certain areas you should reduce the lightness with curves and then you should mask/feather the areas you would like the shadow.

I think however you do it , masking and feathering is the most powerful tool in doing facials/retouch regardless of wether its after effects or photoshop. , hope this helps :)

I will attempt to put that effect on this picture and let you know how it goes :pf3x4s0.jpg

Last edited:

stufflol

Power User
Here is a quick attempt for you :p (ofc it would be better from a slight side angle) , I could make a tutorial on how I did it if this is what you want.amchur.jpg

Moffi

Wow Stuff, That is exactly what I am looking for...stunning. If you do have time I would love a quick tut. in AE. if you think that is a better route or PS. I'll try tooling around in it till then..Thanks so much!

Last edited:

Moffi

image-used-meganfox.jpgTEST.jpg

The first go around. Used this image as an example.

1. Lasso'd the skin, Then Filter>Noise>Reduce Noise.
2. Created New. Used the eyedropper on the original image to get in realm if the color in the original image posted in my first post. Paint bucket. The moved that on top or the image in this post.
3. Used the layer/mask method you mentioned. Selected both layers then Add vector mask at the bottom of the layers panel.
4. In that new layer reduced the fill a little on the new color and also went to "color" in the drop down menu in the layer menu.
5. Added a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer...adjusted. and Adjusted curves.

The highlights in curves is something I'm having trouble with. Or pinpointing the highlights in the cheeks and adjusting them in other words.

Nothing as masterful as you have though. My masking and feathering sucks. I really haven't done it often. I'd really like to nail this. Thanks Moff.

Last edited:

Moffi

Fantastic production...Stuff. With music! This is great. I will tool around with it today / weekend and post the results. This thread needs a sticky.

And Nice mrgood. I assume in After Effects also? Never would have thought this was done in AE. I immediately thought PS.

Much thanks Stuff...will post soon.

mrgood

Fantastic production...Stuff. With music! This is great. I will tool around with it today / weekend and post the results. This thread needs a sticky.

And Nice mrgood. I assume in After Effects also? Never would have thought this was done in AE. I immediately thought PS.

Much thanks Stuff...will post soon.

No, this was pure Photoshop, you thought it right :)

Vafann

Guru
Here you go m8, let me know what you think :)

WOW! what a great tutorial! i don´t have after effects, I hardly know what it is lol, but this gave me some idea of how I can do things in Photoshop! Thank you!! :)

stufflol

Power User
After Effects is like photoshop but for video editing , it is in some ways more advanced, the masking/feathering system is for some reason easier when you are dealing with alot of adjustments and its slightly easier to go back and change what you have done.

Great program. :)

Paul

Former Member
Is it better than Vegas, i don't know i don't use any of them but i did try a free version of vegas6 years ago it was very good then, not that i am saying ANYTHING is better than my beloved adobe product, bows and walks backwards looking at floor while slowly creeping back out the door.

stufflol

Power User
well they are two different types of program , vegas if for producing movies/clips like cutting etc, after effects is for changing details etc and adding special effects , its quite complex and very fun to use, its just like photoshop but for video/movie :)

Paul

Former Member
Interesting info my friend (scratches chin and beard while thinking to ones self)...

Moffi

TEST_5.jpg

So had some time to mess around with the photo a bit in AE. I love the fluidity of feathering and masks. I know this image needs some minor adjustments but I wanted to get the basic understanding of work-flow down. I may have to go back in PS and remove the craters from her face. I am curious about the shading. I tried creating a another adjustment layer, then used the pen tool to lasso. Is there something like invert selection in PS in AE? I was just exploring how to work on the shading. I assume it is like working on the cheeks...and not just one effect? I guess I can also assume it was the way the image was originally taken? Maybe with one soft point light. Ill keep tooling around in there. Rap soon and thanks for the great tut. Stuff.

Moffi

Moffi

TEST_RAMP_EFFECT.jpg

Tried a few Ramp Effects applied a Solid Rectangle around the image in AE. Needs some adjustments but seems to be getting closer. The white starting color makes the image a lot softer than the original in my estimate. Maybe white is really transparent......