What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trouble with getting selected area to color correctly.

Maureen Johnson

The selcted area has a layer beneath it, however it is not the problem.
It keeps coloring the selected area with the colors it was originally colored in,
instead of coloring it the color I have selected. The brush and paint bucket are both set to Normal mode so I have Absolutely NO idea what the heck is wrong.

What do I do to fix this?

ibclare

Queen Bee
The selcted area has a layer beneath it, however it is not the problem.

Uhm, hello Maureen. Welcome to PSG.

what is "it" you refer to? the selection or the layer?

It keeps coloring the selected area

It = Photoshop I presume. So you have 2 layers, the top layer is active and you have an active selection? This selection on the top layer has already been colored once? You are trying to change this color. Is anything on the bottom layer?

... the colors it was originally colored in, instead of coloring it the color I have selected.

I don't know your level of experience with PS, so I'm going to ask a basic question. Is the top color square on the left hand side -- the toolbox -- showing the color you wish to use? You haven't accidentally switched them? If you hit the "X" key that will switch them.

Are your layer blending modes also set to normal?

It may be necessay to see your PSG. You can go to the reply box, click on the tree icon, choose the browse computer, click upload, and your psd will load. There is no minimum posts to load an image.

Hoogle

Guru
sounds like you have swapped from paint brush to channel mixer brush right click the brush icon and select the top 1

Maureen Johnson

Nevermind. I found a way around it.

I was doing some toy hexing for petz 5 and didn't know that my palatte restricted color balance changes to only colors in the palatte. So I was coloring the frames by hand.

I had two layers. The original toy with the original colors on the bottom, and a blank layer where I was coloring the new toy on the top. I selected the desired pixels to color on the original layer, then hid the original layer and selected the new toy layer. But when I tried to color the new toy, it colored the pixels the same colors as the original. I had done this before the exact same way with other pixels on that same picture so I am stumped.
But since I found a way around it, it really doesn't matter anymore.