What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trouble with Quick Mask

zeke46

Hello,

I'm a new Photoshop user trying to create a quick mask.

My end goal is simply to reduce the opacity of part of a photo to allow text to be more easily read in this area. I am able to apply a quick mask, but when I reduce the opacity, the entire photo's opacity is affected.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• mask.jpg
    mask.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 1
edit: Hold on, I misinformed you. Give me a minute here.

Last edited:
are you leaving quick mask before you apply it to the layer? You can do this be pressing Q and you should see the selection on the area you want then make it into a layer mask

You need two image layers, one with a hole punched out and one with a reduced opacity layer below it.

Screen Shot 2014-06-16 at 9.23.39 AM.png

Or a layer mask..
Screen Shot 2014-06-16 at 9.28.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-06-16 at 9.23.32 AM.png

Last edited:
Why not just give the text area a different (in contrast to the text) background?

Type your text......formatting it how you want it.(Justify, size, colour etc)
Select the image layer (Your image).
Create a new layer. (This will be created above the selected layer, or put another way, between the background and the text layer)
Make a selection (Marquee select tool) around the text. (The size of this is down to how you want it to look).
Fill the selection with a colour, (or pattern or whatever), that best suits the text.

From here you can select both the text layer and its background layer and align them, (Select 'Move tool' and then see 'align' options at the top of the workspace).

You can also change the opacity of the text background if you need the original image to show through.
You could also add a border to it, drop shadow, bevels.....all sorts of stuff......but just on that text background.

No need to touch the original image at all.

text_bg_01.png

Regards.
MrTom.

Written in reply to post #1.

Last edited:
My work process is to make a selection, press Q (shown in image), adjust opacity, and press Q again. Is this applying the mask to the layer?

Thanks.

The two layers worked. Thanks! Just curious how you blended the edges of the transparent section?

I feathered the Rectangular Marquee Tool before I made the selection.

Screen Shot 2014-06-16 at 10.21.01 AM.png

Or you can feather the selection by going to SELECT > MODIFY > FEATHER.

My work process is to make a selection, press Q (shown in image), adjust opacity, and press Q again. Is this applying the mask to the layer?

No, make your selection then hit the "Add Layer Mask" icon located at the bottom of the layers panel.

LayerMaskIcon.png

Back