What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

varying bevels (need a channel in a beveled layer)

rtarver

First post, and darn it if it isn't a question. Been trolling the forum and internet for a tutorial on how to get a bevel with one setting, to cut into a bevel with another setting. I've been working on the graphics for the interface to my home theater. Mostly I've been using stock material from the control software. I bought a new car recently and want to use the center console for inspiration. How do I manage this like the attached photo? I'm a 4 of 10 on the photoshop experience scale.

Thanks for anyone that can help out.

[edit] Okay, think I figured it out. Two different layers. Works well for straight cuts, but large bevels stress the look and you lose the perspective, because the narrow cut doesn't curve... would have to work that manually.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-14 at 8.34.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-14 at 8.34.55 PM.png
    321.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Something like this?

These were done very fast so they're not perfect.

Screen Shot 2015-02-14 at 9.31.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-02-14 at 9.31.44 PM.png

rtarver

That's pretty darn close... you posted up about the time I was editing my post. How did you do the channels?

Getting closer...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-14 at 10.38.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-14 at 10.38.01 PM.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's pretty darn close... you posted up about the time I was editing my post. How did you do the channels?

There are so many ways to do this but I will walk you through my process. Let me first say that Illustrator is a much better program for graphics like these.

But, if you only have Ps, it can be done.

This is a simple version an it's not meant to reproduce your example so I left out curves and angles. I won't go into any details unless you have questions. The shapes are made with shape tools or pen tool set to shape.

I start with a background of a black shape. This is the base of the channels to answer your question.

Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 10.44.36 AM.png

Next I created a section that would hold the buttons (so to speak).

Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 10.46.20 AM.png

Then I created the buttons on individual layers.

Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 10.48.39 AM.png

I wanted each of the buttons to have two different bevel effects.
This can be accomplished in other ways but I used a simple technique.

I added a bevel to one button with a layer style and copied it to the rest.

Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 10.51.52 AM.png

I then highlighted the button layers, duplicated them, and then merged them.
By doing this I preserved the bevel and can now add a new one which now looks like this.

Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 10.53.58 AM.png

I then copied the layer style to the section holding the buttons and tweaked it a bit.

Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 10.55.39 AM.png

All that's left to do is to add some text......

Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 10.56.24 AM.png

There are so many other little tweaks you can do with this, the possibilities are endless.

rtarver

Thanks Sam,

Your buttons clearly look better than what I created. I'll work on your technique and then see about applying it to a redesign.

For now, I muddled through with something similar. This is more or less a proof of concept. I'll need to refigure the space layout, clean up some lighting, work on content placement, but it's pretty close and at least has a consistent design. The second one is a previous version I put together that was... not so clean but an exercise in glow lighting?

Macan Mini.jpgMusicScreen01.jpg

Attachments

• Macan Mini.jpg
    Macan Mini.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: