What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vector graphics or fully rescalable images with Photoshop (not loosing resolution)?

coffee_king

Hi there
I wouldnt exactly call myself a "Newbie" with Photoshop as I've been using it for years but I've been sent some PSD files (part of one is attached here) that I'd like to re-scale up to a very very large size to be printed on a pop-up banner without loosing the resolution.
I'm obviously not quiet understanding how to convert or save something so its rescalable without loosing the nicely rounded edges/ none jagged lines resolutions (Ive even tried it with clip-art type files) when I zoom in on it/blow it up. I'm not even sure what type of file to import that Photoshop can handle in this way?

I dont want to have to redraw it as I didnt draw it myself in the first place (I'm useless at drawing)
Can anyone advise further please?
Thanks

bss-g.jpg

Inkz

Guru
Re: Vector graphics or fully rescalable images with Photoshop (not loosing resolution

You could either...

Re draw in Photoshop on a huge canvas, or re do in Illustrator. In AI, you can scale up as much as you want without loss of quality.

inkpad.t

Guru
Re: Vector graphics or fully rescalable images with Photoshop (not loosing resolution

As this is a solid color ( ie..the black ) you could take it in to a vector base program as Inkz said. you could try using the trace tools if your not happy re drawing it... The trace will give you a solid color without the blurriness in that image. you can then use any vector gradient tools to get the blur effect back as much as possible which would also be a vector gradient and can be re scale to any size with your image.

coffee_king

As this is a solid color ( ie..the black ) you could take it in to a vector base program as Inkz said. you could try using the trace tools if your not happy re drawing it... The trace will give you a solid color without the blurriness in that image. you can then use any vector gradient tools to get the blur effect back as much as possible which would also be a vector gradient and can be re scale to any size with your image.

Hi there
Thanks for the responses.
What do you mean by "Trace" exactly? That it automatically traces it by selecting this tool? Or I'd have to trace it all again myself?
I really dont want to have to redraw/trace anything myself, I'm looking for something more automated.

coffee_king

Hi there
OK, Ive auto-traced it in Illustrator and it looks pretty decent. So what file type do I save it as so I can use it in Photoshop and enlarge it as much as I like without loosing quality please?
Thanks

Crotale

Power User

You can export your traced image in an EPS format. When you open the EPS file in Photoshop, you can choose the size it will be. you should choose a fairly large size, but that depends on how big you will need the object to be.

Once the file is open, you should convert that object layer into a smart object, so that it can be resized without loss of edge integrity. You can use the lasso to capture just the object if you wish to ensure that you have no free space around it just before converting it.

coffee_king

You can export your traced image in an EPS format. When you open the EPS file in Photoshop, you can choose the size it will be. you should choose a fairly large size, but that depends on how big you will need the object to be.

Once the file is open, you should convert that object layer into a smart object, so that it can be resized without loss of edge integrity. You can use the lasso to capture just the object if you wish to ensure that you have no free space around it just before converting it.

Hi there
Ive opened the traced EPS image in Photoshop, chosen a size, but it then rasterizes it though.
Ive then converted it to a smart object, but when I zoom over 100% you can see the edges lose their integrity as per the below image.
Can you advise further please?

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member

Here is my take on your comments. You don't understand that Photoshop is a raster based program and has limited ability to manipulate vectors. IMHO if you need sharp vector content that has unlimited scalability, you need to remain in AI with the image. Why is it important to you that the image shows a loss of integrity over 100%. Your not going to display it over 100% are you? What is your end use of the image going to be? Web or Print?

Edit: Sorry, I failed to read enough. If your wanting to print a huge banner you can do so via PS but why? Why not print from AI?
Just out of curiosity, I took your image into my Corel X4. I used the trace module and since it was good quality to begin with, it traced very nicely. I then increased the size of it to 24" in width and proportional height. I then exported as an AI file. Photoshop opens AI files as rasters, but the point is, if you really want to print it from PS, use the AI trace module, size it as large as you want it and then just open the AI in PS.
If all of your images are as good as this one, they should trace well. Usually bitmap files that were initially made as vectors maintain their integrity and can be retraced with the trace modules with good results. If they are junk to begin with, they will be junk coming out though.
Hi there
Ive opened the traced EPS image in Photoshop, chosen a size, but it then rasterizes it though.
Ive then converted it to a smart object, but when I zoom over 100% you can see the edges lose their integrity as per the below image.

Last edited:

coffee_king

You totally right. Its shear lazyness on my behalf to NOT want to learn how to use ANOTHER program and solely use PS. But I've decided to devote a few days to getting to grips with the basics of AI now due to everyone comments here.
Thanks for the advise.

Crotale

Power User

Hi there

Anything you do in Photoshop will be rasterized in the end. A smart object can be scaled down and back up to 100%, but going over 100% will net a loss in edge integrity.

As ALB68 has stated, if you already have the shape made in Illustrator, you might as well finish the project there, pending the issue that you have a usable version of the software that will not expire before you complete the project (trial versions are good for 30 days).

cwpa01

Illustrator is fairly simple... once you get your head around the basics well said guys!! Let us all know how u went Coffee.

Open Photoshop, start a new image with the canvas set at the dimensions and resolution you require for your banner, then drag the .eps file onto the canvas. This way it will remain a vector file. If you open the .eps with photoshop first, it will rasterize it straight away.

Crotale

Power User

Open Photoshop, start a new image with the canvas set at the dimensions and resolution you require for your banner, then drag the .eps file onto the canvas. This way it will remain a vector file. If you open the .eps with photoshop first, it will rasterize it straight away.

I never knew that. Thanks for posting this tip!