What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What am I doing wrong -Batch Process.

Steve

Retired Administrator
I have about 700 RAW images I want to batch process through PS.
All I want to do is reduce their size from 5184 X 3456 to 900 X 600 @ a resolution of 150 and save as JPG files.

Since RAW files run through ACR first and there's no way to reduce images size I just run it and end up with full size jpg's.
I run the JPG's again through Bridge and select Tools|Photoshop|Image Processor and selected "Open first image to apply settings" but when I run this there is no pause to reduce the file size.
It just runs through all the images allowing me no option to "Apply Settings".

I realize I can record an action to do this and use Photoshop|Batch but I'd like to know why this isn't working.
Thanks guys.

Tom Mann

Guru
To be honest, I wouldn't do this in ACR and PS because it's the sort of job that Lightroom absolutely shines at. FWIW, I do exactly the steps u described for just about every single event that I shoot.

T

Tom Mann

Guru
Steve -

A few more details about doing this in LR ...

Once the raw files are in LR, you can either assign one ACR-like preset to operate on all of them, or, with hardly any more effort, partition the set into named processing groups. So, for a wedding or some similar event spanning hours, I might have presets like, "afternoon front lit", "afternoon backlit", "dusk front lit", "evening tungsten", "evening fluorescent", "evening mixed", etc. and assign groups of images to one of these presets.

I also have set up a few "export" presets to specify what I want done with the images after the raw processor presets have been applied. The example shown below is probably the most similar to your requirement, ie, export to a mid-sized JPG with some modest sharpening applied.

Once you have a few raw and export presets set up and you had selected all the raw files in the directory (ie, control-A), your entire job would literally require nothing more than two-mouse-clicks.

PS, or ACR-then-PS is great when you want to perfect a relatively small number of photographic images, but when you are trying to grind through a lot of photos with a more moderate degree of care, LR is vastly more efficient. Also, if you need to process a few of the images in PS, there's always the option to export those as PSD files.

HTH,

Tom

Attachments

• Setup_export_presets_in_LR.jpg
    Setup_export_presets_in_LR.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 0

Hoogle

Guru
How am I only just seeing this. I use to run a script rather than pre built batch process.
But as Tom has probably said ( skimmed read it and saw he said lightroom which is what I now use. resize 1 image in the folder and then apply it to the rest of the folder via copy and export the jpeg. It will be a lot faster then opening up ACR and will less likely crash.

Doing this kind of edit will literally max out your ram and CPU which will freeze up your computer so if I was you I would do it in batches of 50 or so depending on the spec of your hardware.

Tom Mann

Guru
...resize 1 image in the folder and then apply it to the rest of the folder via copy and export the jpeg. ...
I'm sorry, but I've used LR for years, and I know of no command in LR that does what you suggested. LR certainly has the capability to synch (aka, "apply") settings (ie, raw development-related settings) and to transfer IPTC metadata from one image to a group of other images, but, as far as I know, the pixel dimensions of an image is not one of the aspects of an image that can be synch'ed (aka, "applied") to other images in LR. Re-sizing is meant to be done using the Export tool, ie, as I described in my previous message.

I'm sure one could figure out ways to use one of the other main modules (eg, print, book, etc.) to change pixel dimensions of an image, but that's not what they are for. OTOH, this is exactly what LR's export facility is designed to do, and it's mindlessly simple to use.

...It will be a lot faster then opening up ACR and will less likely crash. Doing this kind of edit will literally max out your ram and CPU which will freeze up your computer so if I was you I would do it in batches of 50 or so depending on the spec of your hardware.
This is absolutely correct and is one of the main reasons why, a few months ago, I invested in a new computer with 64 Gigs of RAM. It turns out that just today, I worked on a set of 600 images in LR and it didn't so much as hickcup, LOL.

Tom

Steve

Retired Administrator
Thanks guys.
I don't use Lightroom and this task isn't important enough to me to download it and learn it.

Also I think I found a very simple solution.
I learned something new today

I always assumed using Tools|Photoshop|image Processor (in Bridge) and selecting File type|Resize to Fit (example) W800 X H600 would work on images that were wider than they were high (Portrait Orientation) but chop off part of the image that was higher than it was wide (Landscape orientation)

I was wrong, it orients the whole image inside the size you define.

This doesn't explain why there is no first image edit option when opening a JPG although there IS a first image edit option when opening RAW images.
Anyway I figured out a solution to MY problem, thanks guys,