What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what image stocks to use?

egosbar

Guru
im mainly using google images or sometimes download wallpapers , some of the images are quite large but when i put them in photoshop they arent very clear , if you look at this image the girl is only 51kb but the size is 500x600 pixels

where do i find images that are clearer when expanded and what am i looking for to let me know it will be ok to download and use rather then download open and find out it blurs too much , i refer to the girls face mainly in this picture

http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum...y-feb-14th-cupid-v2-0-a-7.html#post1533624430

ibclare

Queen Bee
I was going to mention that. Get yourself over to deviantarts.com or shutterstock or one of the sites that offers free or cheap downloads at high resolution or very large dimensions. Most images for the web are just meant to be viewed as part of a whole, not for themselves. So the only edits they get are to be shrunken to fit.

chrisix

Guru
advanced image search of google, put the filetype on png and big images

RTContent

Power User
Be careful if you are taking images from Google image search as a lot has standard copyright. This is fine using these for educational purposes, but just be careful where you publish your work (if at all). I tend to use www.sxc.hu and deviant art.

egosbar

Guru
Be careful if you are taking images from Google image search as a lot has standard copyright. This is fine using these for educational purposes, but just be careful where you publish your work (if at all). I tend to use www.sxc.hu and deviant art.

i try too use stocks without copywrite

ibclare

Queen Bee
The problem with that egosbar is that you don't always know if there is a copyright or not. If you go to one of the sites as RTC mentioned, and follow the rules of the stock providers, you have a green light to use their images. And . . . you will get images that have good resolution. Take a look at some of the manipulations and enlarge them. They don't get muddy and pixelated because they are high-quality stocks. The images you used for your underwater cupid scene don't cut it. It's a great composition and I know you put in quite a lot of work. But next time, find pictures that will complement the amount of work you do to make the final product. You'll also find it a lot easier to select objects and make adjustments because when you zoom way in you will still make out the image for what it is, not just mushy pixels. That's my advice. :mrgreen:

egosbar

Guru
The problem with that egosbar is that you don't always know if there is a copyright or not. If you go to one of the sites as RTC mentioned, and follow the rules of the stock providers, you have a green light to use their images. And . . . you will get images that have good resolution. Take a look at some of the manipulations and enlarge them. They don't get muddy and pixelated because they are high-quality stocks. The images you used for your underwater cupid scene don't cut it. It's a great composition and I know you put in quite a lot of work. But next time, find pictures that will complement the amount of work you do to make the final product. You'll also find it a lot easier to select objects and make adjustments because when you zoom way in you will still make out the image for what it is, not just mushy pixels. That's my advice. :mrgreen:

yes i agree for sure , the underwater image taught me a lot which was the objective , problem sometimes is you just cant find the right image to suit what your trying to do , it was the best i could find , im still looking lol but i know it means more work

RTContent

Power User
Sometimes if you can't find the right stock image, you'll need to take a camera, go out and do it yourself :)

Last edited:

smoke

Power User
Sometimes if you can't find the right stick image, you'll need to take a camera, go out and do it yourself :)

Agree. Most of my backgrounds or details was hunted by me. How ever with 'models' there is better option to use stocks from deviant or similar sites as there is plenty to chose from.

ibclare

Queen Bee
I agree egosbar. It isn't always easy to find the image to fit your concept. But smoke is right. If you go to a place like deviantarts, you will be surprised to find how numerous your choices are. And sometimes you have to get creative. One of my manipulations contained the arms and head of one woman and the body of another. Sometimes you just have to alter your concept a bit. Here are some women with bow and arrow. These are one third of the actual size btw.

cupids.jpg

RTContent

Power User
Inkz, is there a technique to search dA? Whatever criteria I put in I just keep getting nude shots under Photography.:thumbsup:

egosbar

Guru
yes i agree , if you look at my stocks ive used the body of the girl the head of the girl , one arm of another pic and one hand of another pic and painted a lot

i think one of your pics would work perfect may i use one if i can find her

egosbar

Guru
i searched girl with bow and arrow and couldnt find the girl in the toga , i think she would be perfect

ibclare

Queen Bee
RTC, you're just gonna get all those nudes, too bad! Nah, actually they have a filter. You can filter out adult content. You'll miss a few things maybe, but if you're not looking for nudes and such, you won't have to wade through all that ----. You can also filter your search by picking the photography category first, then entering your search terms. It can be kinda weird. I went back to look for the bow and arrow girls and couldn't find them. I was searching women shooting arrows, women with bow and arrow. Finally, when I entered girl shooting arrows, there it was. So I think, depending on the results you're getting, it might be good to narrow the search terms. Then I am always getting side-lined because I'll go an image I want then to the artist's gallery and start downloading different images. It's a treasure hunt.

Egosbar, here's the link for you: http://kxhara.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4q58s4