What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would be the best DSLR to get for a beginner?

jhonmartinvish

I'm planning on starting a beginners photography course in September but don't know what kind of camera to get. I want a DSLR or SLR whichever is best? For around £350 and one that will kind of grow with me if that makes sense, so as I advance into intermediate and advanced I can begin to use new features with it such as new lenses etc. Any ideas?

thanks

Steve

Retired Administrator
DSLR means digital Single Lens Reflex, an SLR would be a film camera.

I personally like Canon cameras but if you're serious about photography I'd look for a camera that shoots RAW.

thedirtyknapkin

Power User
most dslr's shoot raw now, even the entry level ones

here's what I usually recommend:

go to your local camera store, and play with both the nikon, and the canon that are within your price range. in this case you would probably want to go used, and step up what your willing to pay a bit. for nikon i recommend a used d3100, and an 18-105 lens, and for canon i recommend a used t2i, and an 18-135 lens.

in that price range you will need to buy used, unless you want to go without a lens.

the reason i usually recommend those lenses is so that the buyer can get a feel for what lens to get next. you really don't need great image quality when you're just learning, and after using it for a while you'll get know what focal length you tend to use the most. after you have a pretty good idea of this you can get a higher quality lens that covers a more specific focal range.

MikeMc

McGuru
most dslr's shoot raw now, even the entry level ones

here's what I usually recommend:

go to your local camera store, and play with both the nikon, and the canon that are within your price range. in this case you would probably want to go used, and step up what your willing to pay a bit. for nikon i recommend a used d3100, and an 18-105 lens, and for canon i recommend a used t2i, and an 18-135 lens.

in that price range you will need to buy used, unless you want to go without a lens.

the reason i usually recommend those lenses is so that the buyer can get a feel for what lens to get next. you really don't need great image quality when you're just learning, and after using it for a while you'll get know what focal length you tend to use the most. after you have a pretty good idea of this you can get a higher quality lens that covers a more specific focal range.

Good ideas....Put them in your hands and play with them.... Pentax makes a good entry model, used with a flash and second lens..in your range. I use B&H Photo for references

Nova78

I purchased a Sony alpha 200...best camera I have ever had and my photos pre edit are flawless...I have tried other cameras like Canon and Nikon and I just think this one has suited me better...

You want a DSLR and stick with either Canon or nikon. they are the best, have the best support online, have the highest resale value, are the most used and in my opinion both have very good feel and image quality.

your best bet would be to go with something like a canon t3i(650D for the uk i believe)or the nikon D3100. However if those are a little too pricy you can pick up a Canon t2i(550D) or a nikon D3000. If those are out of your price range still i highly recommend a nikon D40, it is quite outdated but it is the camera i learned photography on many years ago, it doesn't shoot video, it doesn't have the best image quality, but it shoots raw and it worked well for me then it should do just fine these days and you can pick them up for CHEAP, i see them on craigslist go for like $100 not sure what that converts too in pounds but its about 1/5 of the price of the t2i or D3000