What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do my fonts look choppy/boxy??/grainy?

Well.................I for one assumed that that was the first thing you tried since it was the first thing suggested.

After all, you did state......

Aesthete18 said:
I see. Thank you I will try it out.

I'm glad your happy.

I see that you have changed the font entirely and the image is much larger.

What I want to see now is how did this solution work on the original image you posted in 300 x 100?

Please post that image with fonts 'anti-aliasing' set to smooth.

Well.................I for one assumed that that was the first thing you tried since it was the first thing suggested.

After all, you did state......

I'm glad your happy.

I see that you have changed the font entirely and the image is much larger.

What I want to see now is how did this solution work on the original image you posted in 300 x 100?

Please post that image with fonts 'anti-aliasing' set to smooth.

I meant I'll try it when I work on my next one, even then I only tried it in the middle when putting the font in :p

Taka Signature 2 - Final2.png

It's a massive improvement IMO.

There is no question that the aliasing looks better. I certainly agree that it does.

However, it is more a matter of desired effect and how you look at it.

I prefer the stronger white stroke on the lettering. It more closely matches the stroke of the horizontal and angled graphics.

Note the major difference of the white stroke before........
Screen Shot 2015-05-02 at 8.01.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-05-02 at 8.13.03 AM.png

and after.....
Screen Shot 2015-05-02 at 8.01.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-05-02 at 8.13.16 AM.png

For me, I would have tried "strong or crisp" aliasing, increasing the font size, or using another smoother Font in an attempt to preserve the white stoke.
It's a game of trial and error and when your working at this size, you may have to settle for some washed out blurry text.

Last edited:
On another note.......... I really like the 3D effect you get by using the red. This type of illusion/effect has been around for awhile but I still like it.

I thought that this effect was what you were going for, but in all the sigs you posted here on a white background (for those of us normal folks using Metro Fluid theme), it was not that noticeable.

But it becomes really apparent on a much darker background....
Screen Shot 2015-05-02 at 8.36.59 AM.png

Great job!

The original lettering definitely looks better on close up as opposed to the anti-aliasing one but for other fonts it's so great especially ones that I don't use the white strokes.

Thank you for the compliment and all the information. :thumbsup:

Back