What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is my path not active?

goodboy

Hi,
When i draw any closed path with the pen tool in illustrator, i can then fill it with paint, gradients, etc, but when i draw a closed path with Photoshop and try to fill it, it just fills the whole layer as if my path is not active.

Is there any way i can just draw a (Pen Tool) path i.e. a cloud, and fill it?

Thanks.

Here's what I recommend. Create a new layer. Draw your shape. make sure you have closed edges, and fill it up with paint bucket.

or, you could draw your path, go to the paths palette, double click the path name and rename it (this then saves the path for posterity - if you don't save the path, next time you create a path the first one won't be there any more).

Once you have a named path, create a new layer, go back to the paths palette and holding down CTRL (or CMD) click on the icon for the path. This will then load a selection, based upon the path (there's also a button for it on the bottom edge of the paths palette).

Hit F5 on your keyboard to bring up the fill dialogue box, choose your colour and click OK. Done :)

Thanks for trying but i've just attempted it again, new layer, closed path, fill bucket and as i said, the whole layer fills.
I think it's possible that i've got some settings wrong or something but as i say, no probs with Illustrator (nice black active path) but with Photoshop faded gray inactive path!!!!!!

or, you could draw your path, go to the paths palette, double click the path name and rename it (this then saves the path for posterity - if you don't save the path, next time you create a path the first one won't be there any more).

Once you have a named path, create a new layer, go back to the paths palette and holding down CTRL (or CMD) click on the icon for the path. This will then load a selection, based upon the path (there's also a button for it on the bottom edge of the paths palette).

Hit F5 on your keyboard to bring up the fill dialogue box, choose your colour and click OK. Done :)

This is working thanks, but will have to get used to a new/more complex, way of working!

..... will have to get used to a new/more complex, way of working!

aaah, the joys of photoshop! the thing is, for a lot of the working flows in photoshop, the first few times you use them they seem long and complex, but after a few tries, they become second nature :)

I have just joined today and it has taken hours pleasantly going through the forums, alas i have found the exact answers i had been looking for re-The Pen Tool.
"Photoshop pen tool video tutorial from Tutcast" in the "Photoshop Tutorial Videos" lounge

Hooray for Yutosi :lol:

Back