What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windows Vista B2

Sean

Guru
As of now, Microsoft has released Windows Vista beta 2 to the public and is available for download http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/preview.mspx. So, because of my uncontrollable curiosity, I just had to try it out. I downloaded it over-night then installed it on my secondary HD as to not affect my current system. After installation, my first impression of Vista were, well...it's damn smooth. For all the features and nice fancy areo glass blurred fx, it runs increadible smooth and fast. Even more so than XP. This, in part, has to do with the desktop (os) being run as a directx application. In other words, the gui is viewed in a 3d environment, as if you were in a video game. Vista takes full advantage of your graphics card instead of burdening your system with all the fx.
This is just one of the many features that makes Vista increadible. The redesigned ui layout is very efficient. The new search engine puts Spotlight to shame. There are many new useful networking features. Voice recognition (works pretty good for the most part) Rebuilt kernel from the ground up to make Vista extreamly secure. Should I go on.....
Anyway, you should just check it out yourself. Go to the link provided and see what Vista has to offer.

I had a Microsoft employee telling me that he didn't like it because of glitches such as the Media Player wasn't too capable of working. There were also other reasons he didn't like it. Personally, I can't wait either... and it's a good thing that I dislike media player in the first place! Me=Winamp.

Take Care,

- Al

Alistair said:
I had a Microsoft employee telling me that he didn't like it because of glitches such as the Media Player wasn't too capable of working.?

I'm suprised that a Microsoft employee doesn't know what a Beta is.? :rofl:

Alistair said:
and it's a good thing that I dislike media player in the first place!? Me=Winamp.

JetAudio is much better in my opinion than that old, dusty Winamp. Actually the latest Windows Media Player is received with a lot of applause from the general public, so I don't know where you get your info from. One of my sons is using it and I don't here him complaining, even when it's a beta. Actually he even dropped JetAudio.? :D

As for Windows Vista... it's probably going to be that same story like with XP when people thought they didn't needed it and continued to use Windows 98.

Several years later, Windows 98 has a market share of 1.6% and XP 74.1% :\

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Microsoft even announced last month to stop all support for Windows 98ME.

Whether you like Vista more than XP or not, is really not the point, at one point you will have to make the switch as a Windows user. The point is that Vista will support more hardware, will be more secure, even the new Internet Explorer will run more secure on Vista than XP. That's simply the thing with operating systems; at one point you will hit a wall and you simply "have" to upgrade.

Gaussian said:
As for Windows Vista... it's probably going to be that same story like with XP when people thought they didn't needed it and continued to use Windows 98.

yep, that was me ... but I had to switch to XP last year ...? only because I bought a new camera that didn't like '98 .... so I switched ... and then my printers didn't like XP .. go figure!!? ... and patches and stuff didn't fix the printer prob (shame on you Cannon) ... :rofl: :rofl: .... me thinks we will always be but pawns in the technology game ... but hey, what's life without a technological challenge or 3? :D

Gaussian said:
Microsoft even announced last month to stop all support for Windows 98ME.
... and that is very sad, because there are many 'not so affluent' people who will pick up cheap old computers with '98 and that will give them the opportunity to 'learn stuff' ... I really think BG and MS have dropped the ball on this one

Gaussian said:
That's simply the thing with operating systems; at one point you will hit a wall and you simply "have" to upgrade.
... oh my aching wallet .....? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm suprised that a Microsoft employee doesn't know what a Beta is.
How imbarrasing. :rofl:
Actually the latest Windows Media Player is received with a lot of applause from the general public
Well, not me. To me, WMP 10 seems very laggy, at least when initially starting the player. Even for past Media Players. If you try to interupt it in the middle of anything, it has an attitude. Go from 'now playing' to 'music store' and glitch glitch glitch.
Winamp and iTunes for me man.

p?tr??k said:
If you try to interupt it in the middle of anything, it has an attitude.

... \:/ .... I sooooo dislike 'attitude' .. especially programs with 'attitude' .... :rofl: :rofl:

Windows Media player works fine but its big and bulky and even the smaller (minimized) version of it is just not making me happy. For all I need, winamp 5.0 pro does it and it works with no problem. I like how slender it is yet easily accessible.

p?tr??k said:
How imbarrasing. :rofl:Well, not me. To me, WMP 10 seems very laggy, at least when initially starting the player.

p?tr??k, when I wrote latest Windows Media Player, I meant Windows Media Player 11 (beta).
Sure, Media Player will always take some time to start, but if that's so important then we would all be using Internet Explorer instead of Firefox or MS Paint instead of Photoshop, right?

I'm was just telling you guys how the market received Media Player 11.

Here's just one review:

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/wmp11.asp

Quote:

"Conclusions
Despite being an avid iTunes user for the past few years, I find myself drawn to Windows Media Player 11. It's better looking, has a better user interface, and offers dramatically better performance than Apple's entry. What's lacking are iPod integration and a few iTunes-related niceties that I've come to expect, such as integrated support for podcasts and a decent tag editor. Unfortunately, these are basically must-have items for me, so I won't be switching to WMP 11. On the other hand, WMP 11, like Internet Explorer (IE) 7 (see my review of Beta 2), is a surprisingly good software offering and will likely be quite satisfactory for many, many people. If you're currently using an earlier WMP version, you should upgrade to WMP 11 immediately. It's a dramatic improvement over its predecessors, albeit with one that continues to ignore the market reality of the iPod."

Not that I'm a Windows Media Player fan boy though (which could change with version 11), because like I said, I prefer Jet Audio; with the small skin it also looks good with my StatBar, also the sound effects are much better.

p?tr??k, when I wrote latest Windows Media Player, I meant Windows Media Player 11 (beta).
Oh, sorry, I meant 11 beta, not 10. I have the beta on my computer.
And, I'm sorry I don't share the initial impression of WMP 11. Sure it looks great - better interface/ui, but performance...I don't think so. Maybe it's just my computer acting up, but iTunes is alot easier and faster than WMP.
Another thing is URGE. The new search engine is great, but it takes along time to update the music list or whatever it does, and slows everything down.
I'm not impressed.

XMplay audio player ( http://www.un4seen.com/ ); no more waiting for a huge download, runs on older operating systems, no more waiting for long startup times and aobe all free.

Download size? Uhhh... 290kB.? :D How much memory does it use? Uhhh... 1MB.? 8} Does it need to be installed? Heck no!? :rofl:? So you can even put it on your USB key.

xmplay.gif

Supports the OGG / MP3 / MP2 / MP1 / WMA / WAV / CDA / MO3 / IT / XM / S3M / MTM / MOD / UMX audio formats, and PLS / M3U / ASX / WAX playlists. A load more formats are also supported via plugins.

Features:

Balls-on accurate
32/24-bit & multi-channel output
Gapless output
Interpolation & volume/pan ramping
DSP
Net streaming
Track information
Title formatting
Library
Saved/preset settings
Disk writing
Keyboard shortcuts
Integration
Archive plugins
Unicode file support
Visualisation
No installation
Skins

Just in case you want things small and straightforward.? :D

Forgot to mention that a lot more extra stuff can be found for XMPlay at the support site http://support.xmplay.com/

Skins (60)
Native Input Plugins (17)
Winamp Input Plugins (42)
DSP Plugins (8)
Tag Editing Plugins (6)
Visuals (98)
Archive Reader (10)
Other Add-ons (8)
XMPlay Archive (55)
External Encoders (6)

Gaussian said:
I prefer Jet Audio; with the small skin it also looks good with my StatBar, also the sound effects are much better.

How did you get this stat bar? And what is your CPU doing at 97%!!?? Mine can barely get over 5% even with making a big change in Photoshop.

Alistair said:
How did you get this stat bar?

Type in Google: statbar? (first result) :\

Alistair said:
And what is your CPU doing at 97%!!??? Mine can barely get over 5% even with making a big change in Photoshop.?

Don't tell me you bought 3,6Ghz just to use 100Mhz...? :rofl:

HA!!! Statbar doesn't understand anything below 1% I just watched the CPU go '1%' and then '???' :rofl:

Back