What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

work & fun -- extracting hair

ibclare

Queen Bee
I'm trying channels for hair extraction. This is one of those tutorials where I find I'm missing something, because even though I follow the steps, my results are not quite . . . :banghead: Other tutorials to try next. Anyway, I had fun overall. Just not the result I want. Learning . . . frustrating, rewarding, whatever :mrgreen:

Attachments

• ThruTheGlass1.jpg
    ThruTheGlass1.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 43

fenix

Guru
Really nice job there Clare! As previously said, that probably is one of the most tricky things to get right.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Thank you fenix, SirM, Belial. I appreciate your comments. I still have a ways to go to get it better. If her hair were black in this image, the not-so-good parts would show up better. But I will get it down! :D

ibclare

Queen Bee
I imagine you mean of the model. Now I'm not sure if my ego can stand you doing this way better and posting it . . . on "my" thread (as if I had any claim to it).

:rolleyes:

:rofl:

Stric9

Power User
No I think you did good....on hair you never know unless you see the original ya know. And selecting hair is no easy task by any strech of the imagination even on a white background it is still challenging.

Last edited:

Vafann

Guru
I think you have done a really good job with the hair, I don´t see how you could have made it much better. I can see that there are some very thin strands that you didn´t get into it, but who cares? lol! Really, I think you did a really good job at that, I haven´t tried using channels to extract things yet, you have inspired me to try. :)

Nice concept Clare, this is a good tut for what your doing Select Hair by Using Channels | Tools Tutorials | Planet Photoshop

Paul,

I took a look at that tutorial, and honestly, wasn't impressed. As far as I could tell, this was the explanation on how to select and extract hair -

"Using the Lasso tool and the Fill command, in combination with the Brush tool and the Eraser tool, we can easily fill in the subject and delete the remaining areas of the background."

?????????????

fenix

Guru
Last edited:

ibclare

Queen Bee
How 'bout that power outage?

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked!!!

Hey Agent, Just saw this post. I don't know why I hadn't gotten email notifications. Anyway, yeah. For me not so much, but fiance went to work in Vista (from IB) at 4, came home about 10, got called back around 11, worked until noon. That sucked. So today they get a bbq to thank them. Big deal if you ask me. Since he's a mgr, no OT. Well, at least it didn't last long.

Hey Agent, Just saw this post. I don't know why I hadn't gotten email notifications. Anyway, yeah. For me not so much, but fiance went to work in Vista (from IB) at 4, came home about 10, got called back around 11, worked until noon. That sucked. So today they get a bbq to thank them. Big deal if you ask me. Since he's a mgr, no OT. Well, at least it didn't last long.

We just stayed home, lit candles, and set up the telescope in the back. It was alright.

Agent

alixman96

great job i cant do hair for life i just dont have patient but working one ps gives me more of it any ways it looks great i think if your trying to put a white backgrounded image that has hair on a black one it doesnt work quit well because even if you try really hard to work it out it you will still have the little light problem around each hair string and it makes it exaturate more when you put it on a dark back ground so you better off use lighter background or dark back grounded image just a tip i thought you might like im pretty good with understanding what is the problem with the image but im not that good with making them hehe :cheesygrin: