What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Workflow for looping tiles

Asfasa

Clipboard01.png

I have CS4 Extended and I'm working on a series of looping 32x32 tiles. I could really use some help with my workflow.

At present I have two documents. I'll push some pixels around in my 32x32 window, Edit > Define Pattern. Next I grab my 500x500 window, hit Edit > Fill > Pattern to see how it looks tiled. I look for any glaring errors, then I push some pixels around in my 32px document, ad infinitum.

Currently, identifying the cluster of pixels I plan to break up within the actual 32px document itself takes huge concentration and usually requires me to zoom in on both documents repeatedly until I can find some pixel or other to serve as a marker to indicate where the spot was. At 500% zoom (necessary for pixel work) the pattern looks completely alien, and this pixel hunting thing is a ridiculous time sink. Ideally I could find some way of painting on the open 32x document while seeing my results, tiled, and changing in real time in the opposite window. Suggestions about any part of my workflow would be awesome. Thanks guys.

What I can suggest is to use the grid ( View>Show>Grid) .... and to adjust the settings on Guides, Grids & Slice Preference..

Your tile is 32x32 pixels... set the gridline at 32 pixels ... subdivisions at 1 .....

The grid will act like road map grid...

Hope this untested idea of mine works for you.... lol ...

What I can suggest is to use the grid ( View>Show>Grid) .... and to adjust the settings on Guides, Grids & Slice Preference..

Your tile is 32x32 pixels... set the gridline at 32 pixels ... subdivisions at 1 .....

The grid will act like road map grid...

Hope this untested idea of mine works for you.... lol ...

Wasn't sure how much this would actually help, but it really does. That solves at least one issue.

Thanks!

Back