What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would really appreciate help

krispybitz

I don't suppose I could be so bold as to ask if anybody could remove the guy smiling in the background? So that there is just a blurry background, again so that it doesn't look photoshopped just like the pic was taken against a dark or greyish background? Please and thanks.

IMG_8063 (3).PNG

Rich54

Guru
I don't suppose I could be so bold as to ask if anybody could remove the guy smiling in the background? So that there is just a blurry background, again so that it doesn't look photoshopped just like the pic was taken against a dark or greyish background? Please and thanks.

Sure... that's fairly easy to do. I'm at work now, but I can get to it later tonight (unless somebody else beats me to it).

krispybitz

I have ordered my canvases and hope they will arrive in the next 2 weeks. Will upload pictures of the finished products then!
Once again, thanks to all of you so so much. It's really refreshing to see people willing to help others for no personal gain. A credit to you all

Tom Mann

Guru
I can't wait to see how they turn out - - although lots of people would disagree with this, there's an old saying that an image isn't really a photograph till it's printed!

As a matter of curiosity, who did you order them from?

Tom M

krispybitz

Hi Tom,
I actually bought some vouchers from Printerpix on Black Friday for one 40 x 20" canvas and four 16 x 12" canvases for a grand total of 91.65euro. I had 3 months to decide what images I wanted to print on them, hence the last minute panic! Was delighted until I placed the order and hadn't considered postage which has amounted to 66.50euro!! A rookie mistake.
Anyway they wouldn't accept the quality of the images of the swans crossing the road or the one of the couple in the photo booth or the couple dancing. So I ordered those 3 on 16 x 12" canvases from Xprintcanvas.com at 8pm on Friday and within a few minutes somebody rang me from there asking about the quality of the prints, if I had the originals, etc. I was very impressed to be having any form of customer support at that hour. I ordered the swans on 40 x 20" canvas, and the two images of the couple on 16 x 12" canvases aswell as a 3rd of the same size from them for a grand total of 127.95 euro.
It's probably mad to ordered 9 canvases in one go but 'there is no great genius without some touch of madness' according to Aristotle so here's hoping they turn out ok.

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi "krispy...". Thanks for the info. I try to make a mental note of anecdotes about the quality and service provided by vendors of different types because people are always stopping by this forum and asking for recommendations.

BTW, did they give you any estimate of the delivery time?

With respect to judging the quality, to be honest, even though you say you are new at this, to be honest, I would rather have your impression of the final product over a photo of it. The reason is that photos of prints can vary all over the place in terms of brightness, contrast, color, sharpness, quality and directionality of the lighting, etc., so it's often impossible for someone who hasn't seen the actual print to differentiate between problems with it and problems with the photography of it.

Cheers,

Tom M

krispybitz

Hi all,
I was very surprised to see a courier at my front door this morning at 9am with the canvases from xprintcanvas.com (having placed the order approx 8pm on Friday evening!). They were all neatly packaged and came with hooks.

I was very happy with the image of the swans on canvas. I guess it is imperfect to the professional but plenty good enough for me. See pics attached

Attachments

• IMG_9094.JPG
    IMG_9094.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9095.JPG
    IMG_9095.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

krispybitz

I was a little disappointed with the old image of the couple. In the one I ordered it was much brighter with more light on their faces as you can see in the first attached image. It looks much darker on the canvas and I think it is the curtain behind them, but it is so dark that it makes it look like a stain in the centre of the image which you can see more clearly when held up to the light in the third image. I do appreciate that they saved the lady's face and used a black edge like I asked rather than loosing some of her face by using the photographs edges to stretch around the edge of the frame

restore.jpg.

IMG_9090.JPG

IMG_9104.JPG

krispybitz

I wanted the photobooth image to blend with an image I had printed 2 years ago (bottom right). I sent it to Xprintcanvas and he said he would edit accordingly. I think it looks very dark though. The canvas in the bottom left also came with this delivery from Xprintcanvas.com. As a side note, if I was doing it again I would have tried to make the girls earring less bright in the image of the young couple laughing because it really stands out so that is my own lesson to learn. Do you think that they might fade when hanging on the wall in the sunlight over time and look more fluid?

Attachments

• IMG_9088.JPG
    IMG_9088.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Well, the quick delivery certainly must have been a pleasant surprise! It sounds like they handled everything well, eg, packaging, responsiveness to your requests, turn around time, mounting, print quality, etc. That's great.

I think that one of the important lessons to be learned from your experience is that starting with an image that is very small (in pixel dimensions) by everyone's reckoning can be just fine so long as the owner's expectations for sharpness are realistic (as yours were).

Printing companies have progressed well past the point where the customer had to worry about obvious pixelation in the final product.

Now, so long as the customer realizes that one can't expect to inspect the large print from 6 inches away and see every pore on the subject's skin when this wasn't even possible on the original when viewed from close-up. Instead, the expectation must be that the viewer will look at the large print from several feet away, or even from across the room, and it should look more or less the same to them as if one was looking at the small original from a much closer distance. It's surprising how many people, particularly, pixel-peeping photographers simply don't "get" this.

In other words, Krispy, your instincts were right on the mark!

The next time you have some prints made, you may want to further improve on what was done here and add a tiny bit of texture or noise that remains fairly sharp at the final print size. This is what lots of advertising agencies do when they are making large display posters because it gives the viewer's eyes something sharp to focus on. It will be interesting to see if you think this is an improvement, as well.

Gotta run.

Congrats on your new prints.

Cheers,

Tom M

PS - Thanks for taking and posting all those pix. They were very helpful.

Last edited: