What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your feelings about your art?

Firefloss

Hi, I'm curious on what do you feel when you edit photos, do some photo manipulations and etc. do you feel happy? excited? feeling accomplished? do you really enjoy it? I just want to know your thoughts and feelings befre and after working. :)

Before i start on a new photoshop project i like a cup of tea and some hot buttered toast, when i finish a project i usually go to bed but can't sleep like i said earlier, i don't sleep much because i am house security as well as the house artist:mrgreen:

I agree iPop, a very odd question.

Anytime I can be using Photoshop for ANYTHING, I'm happy! I'm a Photoshop addict. I can't say that I've noticed what I feel before and after, all I can say for sure is that it's very therapeutic in between.

No weirder than the question :rofl:

I guess that makes me weird then. lol

Before i start on a new photoshop project i like a cup of tea and some hot buttered toast, when i finish a project i usually go to bed but can't sleep like i said earlier, i don't sleep much because i am house security as well as the house artist:mrgreen:

I guess that tea puts you into mood when you do a photoshop project and it is also the culprit why you can sleep. :D

If I open a photo to edit I usually feel hopeful that I can reproduce, for print, what I saw when I looked through the viewfinder.
I'm often disappointed but sometimes thrilled with what I see.

I usually try for minimal PS adjustments, not much past past ACR adjustments, but sometimes go way out there and use Topaz, Nik, or some other technique or filter and create something that didn't exist in the original image.

I love it all.

If I open a photo to edit I usually feel hopeful that I can reproduce, for print, what I saw when I looked through the viewfinder.
I'm often disappointed but sometimes thrilled with what I see.

I usually try for minimal PS adjustments, not much past past ACR adjustments, but sometimes go way out there and use Topaz, Nik, or some other technique or filter and create something that didn't exist in the original image.

I love it all.

nothing beats doing what you love :)

OP: "Hi, I'm curious on what do you feel when you edit photos, do some photo manipulations and etc. do you feel happy? excited? feeling accomplished? do you really enjoy it? I just want to know your thoughts and feelings befre and after working."

Why do you want to know?

Is this for a school paper / homework assignment?

Have you posed this question to other artists and craftsmen? If so are you expecting more differences or more similarities?

etc. etc.

A bit of background will likely get you better answers.

Tom M

Well...it all depends on who releases me... if they are kind i usually do something that's palatable, But most times i just get frustrated,chained,lock in side myself , i can feel the blood rush run to my head.

But this is just because they put me back... So all i can say is it makes me feel INSANE when it go's wrong and INSANE when it go's right, ( guess that just means i'm insane ).

I do like manipulations and illusion manips are my favorite. It never gets as close as wild mind imagines, so a bit anxious and confused and struggling . Yet that feelings changes to priceless satisfaction once you see wonderment mimics in faces or question: 'How do you do this?' This is giving me DRIVE for P.S.

I like Steve's and Chris's thoughts....I would say I tend to "Zone" out when into an image..I won't say visualization but I get into the "Zen" and try to become part of the image...hard to state.....BUT I can feel when I am close to finished.

Now I am going to have a sip of Bushmills and smoke a fatty.......:mrgreen:

OK, you've gotten quite a bit of feedback Firfloss. Now share your answer to the question. I am wondering about your POV.

I'm feeling frustrated with myself. I plan on improving myself but I don't do anything I guess that is the problem. I'm into photography and they said that just shoot everyday to improve, but I always ask myself is it worth the capture? will it be efficient to capture the scene for my own learning and other questions in my mind. that is why I labeled myself as an frustrated artist. hehe!

Try this just go out and take a few photos without really thinking about the subject matter, be as random as possible.
See what turns up and then make some changes within Photoshop, try it.

I'm feeling frustrated with myself. I plan on improving myself but I don't do anything I guess that is the problem. I'm into photography and they said that just shoot everyday to improve, but I always ask myself is it worth the capture? will it be efficient to capture the scene for my own learning and other questions in my mind. that is why I labeled myself as an frustrated artist. hehe!

Photography isn't about Photoshop.
Photography, first and foremost is about the image.
You don't "machine gun" hundreds of images and hope you can "make" one work for you.

If you're having a hard time finding things worth photographing try setting some goals or challenges.
Lots of times folks don't look closely enough at what they are photographing.
Find something, a scene, that looks good to you and take a pic.

Now look closer at the image or scene.

There are probably dozens of great new images in that scene.

You just took a shot of a budding cherry tree with a few flowers in the foreground.

Take a closeup of the flower, laying on the ground with the tree blurred in the background.
Take a closeup with the flower blured and the tree sharp in the background.
Wait for the bee or butterfly to come to the flower.
Go over to the tree and do closeups of the buds and flowers on the tree.
Go over to the tree and blur the buds and flowers on the tree while focussing on something in the distance.
How about the leafs on the tree?
Anything there?
Maybe you can find a bunch of leaves against a beautiful sky
ETC., ETC., ........

Photoshop can be used to tweak an image, and sometimes completely transforming an image but you shouldn't use Photoshop as the fix to photos you don't really like.

Back