What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another glassy/plastic orb...

Yes, great tutorials they have ;)

Nice ball Wendy, you seem to have that technique also under control :perfect:

WAY TO GO WENDY --NOW THAT'S A CLASSY GLASSY ORB!

Wow --Wendy --great. Creative and flawless execution! Did you do this in another life? (smiles with one eyebrow raised)
Joyful

Thanks for the kudos guys! :)

One word... PRACTICE!

No, make that two... PRACTICE and TRASH!

And, repeat as necessary!
:\

hahaa :rofl:

Great looking effect Wendy, nice job. :perfect:
Real nice quality in the photo. You must have a great camera.

Now... can you explain to me what it is about that orb that makes it look more like chrome, than glass? If you can... you'll have an even better undestanding of what goes into the making of each. [excited]

You're right Mark! I had a b*$%@ of a time trying to make it look "glassy" and, in the end, I kknow that it came out chrome. The only 'suggestion' of glass is the hand seen through the bottom of the orb. Chrome reflects its environment, whereby glass allows it to come through... and the background does appears to be a reflection. I know now that I shouldn't have 'spherized' the background. :\

Do you have any other tips?

Will have to give it another 'go'...

P.S. I have an Olympus C-3030 Zoom, 3.1 megapixel :D I love it!

another effort

Trying... getting there... but not satisfied yet. :\

Nice Work

Wow! Wendy great job. I think I may have to give this a try when I get home and relax.

Originally posted by wbiss
P.S. I have an Olympus C-3030 Zoom, 3.1 megapixel :D I love it!

Well how interesting! :rofl: I also have an Olympus and for 98% the same one that you have: the C-3040 Zoom. (only some small differences). The most important difference is the lens; mine is one with 1.8 aperture.
I never liked the Nikon; some like the tilted lens, I just wanted a robust little camera. I did a lot of research before I bought this one and yes, it makes amazing photographs.

There are only 2 things I don't like:

a) The lens cap (yes, you know what I'm talking about :rofl: )
b) Shutter lag (but that's common with almost every digital camera)

All in all a great camera.

I love photography and I mean...a lot! ;)

I still hope that prices for the big cams drop even more than they already did, because then I go for the Canon D60 woooooooow :shocked:

Bad attempt

Wend could you post how you acheived your effect I have tried for 2 hours and I can;t even get mine to look like Marks. but trial and error is what its all about.

Yeah Gauss... I've already "lost" the lens cap and the shutter response is, as you say, a common problem with most digital cameras. :\
And, you just know that I love digital photography 'cause you must know what I paid for my camera two years ago. I still say "ouch" :shocked:

SilvrWolf, I'll zip up my PS file for you and will send it along just as soon as I can. I've dumped the first version, but I still have the second one.
It IS tougher than it looks, eh?

[slick]

I'm not going to offer any specific help in this one.
I'm really positive that as soon as someone has an "Oh man! THAT'S how it's done!" moment, it makes all the work seem that much more worth it to them.

Your 2nd image is better than your first for a glass effect though Wendy. You just need to think about a few more details.

I know you guys can do this.

Only one teeny tiny tip...
Think about your highlights, and think about how glass effects the things reflected in it. ;)

I think I've got it?

You're very encouraging, Mark! ;)
And, I refuse to give up!

This one, with a background...

and the next one 'without'

:\

Wendy, all 4 are really great, no doubt about that.
My favorite is stil #1; really like that one :perfect:

Thanks G-Man, but I was really trying to achieve a 'glass ball' effect and if you look at #1, it's waaaaaay more chrome than it is glass. :\ Through my frustrations and 'trial & errors', I have discovered that soooooooo much depends on the 'surroundings'. I think I understand the basic lighting concepts, but its getting the glass look right that's a b@#$% when a background is thrown in. [confused]

Back