What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't Rasterize Path that is a Line

Vmusic

Hi,
I have a path that is a curvy line. I want to rasterize it, but how????

I was able to stroke the path, but obviously though it looks like a rasterized line, it's NOT.

By rasterized.....I mean a layer NOT connected or associated to any path which has pixels of the curvy line.

I see from online searches lots of people have this problem. The inconsistency in the software is frustrating. Any and everything in the software that is not raster graphics should have in the context menu a rasterize option. I wish PS would have made the paths just another layer, of a type path rather than make it a separate panel.

Help is sorely needed. Frustration level is high.
Thanks in Advanced

I appreciate your frustration but its just a case of knowing the software and the terminology used within it.

A 'Path' technically cannot be 'rasterized' in the true sense of the word, a path being just that, a path, along which you can then do something....paint, erase, blur, sharpen etc etc.

For example, with a path selected, and on a new blank layer, you could 'Paint' along that path with the current 'Brush' tool.

Likewise, you could use the 'Path' for a 'Blur' operation....this would affect the currently selected layer....there needs to be pixels on the layer in order for them to be 'blurred'.

'Rasterizing', as defined by PS, a path is not just a simple case of having a 'rasterize' option.....what is there to rasterize?

Instead, you use the 'Path' to apply a 'Raster' effect along that path, be that painting with the 'Brush' tool on a new layer or 'Blurring' an existing image layer.

This gives you enormous flexibility in the 'style' of the result, the options for the 'Brush' tool tool alone are vast.

Now, having said all that there are two downsides...

1. You need to set up whatever 'tool' you are going to use before applying it to a 'Path'.

2. Each time you apply a 'Raster' effect it becomes permanent, non-editable, or 'Rasterized'. Editing the 'Path' afterwards will not change the previous result, it just edits the 'Path' ready for the next 'Raster' effect you want to do.

In order to be able to 'Edit' a stroked 'Path' after the effect you need to create an 'Open' 'Shape'.

This will have both 'Fill' and 'Stroke' properties which can be changed at a later date.....a 'Shape' being more like an individual object rather than just defining a 'route' along which to do stuff.

'Shapes' can be edited in just the same way as paths but will also 'update' their 'stroke' and 'Fill' properties at the same time. 'Shapes' are 'Rasterized' by consciously choosing to do so or by saving out to a normal image file...jpg, png, bmp etc etc.

As a rule of thumb 'Paths' define a route along which a 'Raster' effect can happen on the layer selected.
'Shapes' have their own layer, can be 'Filled' and 'Stroked' and remain a 'vector' until 'Rasterized'.

Regards.
MrToM.

I was under the impression that a path is a vector usually created by the pen tool (although I know there are other ways). Just the first lines of your reply CERTAINLY HELPS.Thank you for explaining that.

It's a hard concept to grasp, whereas the idea of a path being a vector is very sensible. I've used the shape tool to make squares, circles, custom shapes, and I thought all of those are vectors, so it seems like a path is just that. Obviously I'm wrong

I actually did set up the brush tool to stroke the path. I can see the stroked line. However, it's not a rasterized graphic, so I can't transform it, erase it, adjust etc.

I tried to follow the instructions. I see the shape tool, however I don't see a way to create, as you called it an "Open" shape. It seems if you create a shape you must choose one of the predefined or custom shapes. So.... I'm still confused. What they should do in the shape toolbar is let you select a path as your custom shape, that would be nice.

Any additional or clearer instructions on converting my path to a rasterized line would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Like I said, you didn't, and still haven't, said what version of PS you are using....it was very different in CS5 and before regarding 'Paths'.

So, this will still have to be 'general' information, but I'll use my version, CC 2014, for my examples.

When using the 'Pen' tool I have the option to select either a 'Path', or a 'Shape'...

path_or_shape_MT_01.jpg

Using the 'Path' option think of it like this...

You are given the task of creating two tennis courts.
You are given a ball of string, some pegs and a tin of white spray paint.

You would mark out the court using the pegs and string.
Then, you would use those string lines as guides to spray the paint on the grass.
To do the second court you would just move the pegs and string to a different location and spray out another court.

Its not difficult to understand that this is a permanent process, but you should also realise that you could, with an infinite amount of paint, do as many courts as you wanted.

If you wanted to change any of those courts you'd have to 'erase' the paint somehow, dig it up or spray it green....whatever....moving the string doesn't change the end result.

Using a 'Path' is the same as using string.

Now, say you didn't have string and paint but a roll of white 'gaffer' tape.

You could easily mark out the court with the tape no problem. You could even lift up the tape and reposition it...say to make a badminton court instead.

This is all fine but to make another one you'd need more tape....you have nothing to 'move' as such to create a 'guide'......you'd need to duplicate it in its entirety.....more tape.

PS has the advantage that using this method, 'Shapes', in that the width and colour of the tape can be changed after you've laid it down....something you couldn't actually do in reality.

A stroked 'Path' with the brush tool is just as editable as any other pixels on a layer, but as I've said before its not 'editable' by moving the anchor points of the 'Path' that was used as the guide for those pixels.

Ideally, when using the 'Brush' tool on a 'path' you'd do this on a new layer...as I stated above.
You could create a new layer and 'Stroke' the path again if you wanted.

These two layers would be as independent from each other as any other two layers and just as editable as any other 'rasterized' pixel layer.

ANY pixels created by using a 'Path' as a guide for the 'Brush' tool ARE rasterised. They are editable by all the usual tools such as 'masks' and 'eraser' and can have all the effects applied to them......its just a normal pixel layer.

Why can you not edit any of the pixels on your layers?

If you gave more info on your system setup and workflow, and a screen shot of the whole UI showing all the relevant info, like tool selected and layers panel, it would make it easier to see where you are going wrong.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:
Sorry.... I have PS CC 2014. I have the subscription so it's pretty up to date.

I got it to work, here are my steps
1. Create the path using the pen tool, and I have the path option selected not the shape option which you showed in the option bar at the top of the screen
2. Set the brush too to a few pixels (a small number depending on the size of the overall drawing), pick a color any color - something nice and visible
3. Stroke the path using the brush tool
4. Select the stroked path using the wand tool
5. Create a new layer
6. With the stroked path selection still active, fill that selection with any color

NOW.... in the new layer I have rasterized version of the path. I can do any of the editing I would to rasterized graphics.

Thanks so much for your help!!!

You're doing an extra unnecessary step but if it works for you then fine.

If you:
1. Create Path.
2. Create NEW LAYER.
3. Stroke path.

...there is no need to then select the pixels using the 'Magic Wand'....and then fill yet another layer with the same pixels....its just an identical layer done the hard way.

Once you 'Stroke' a path using the 'Brush' tool it IS ALREADY RASTERIZED pixels.

Regards.
MrToM.

Back