What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making a drawing look old..?

Hey guys, this is my first thread on the forums! I have a drawing that I would like to make look like sort of an old painting from around the 17th century. I have no real idea how to go about with this and I was hoping for some advice :D
This is kind of the style I'm going after:

Gillis_van_Tilborgh_-_Family_Portrait_(detail)_-_WGA22404.jpg

And this is the drawing in question:
MRV01.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Just to be sure, you want the drawing of the Squirrel to look like the Gillis van Tilborgh oil painting?

What is your Photoshop experience?

I just want to put a filter, or some kind of effect on the drawing to make it look alittle bit like an old painting. My Photoshop experience is average I would say :D

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@takinu ButtNutz

As I stated, this project will require some skill and lot's of time and attention. Without colorization, the image will not look like the sample oil painting that was provided.

Even with the "Oil Paint Filter" it still looks like the original sketch.

Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 9.37.01 AM.png

peta62

Guru
Because this filter creates impression of oil painting, but no cracks. I think the only chance, apart of the whole process described by IamSam in #4, is to get some structure of cracks ( brush or layer ) with very thin lines darker than anything in the painting. I do not have a clue where to get it, I am more photographer using Photoshop for post processing than Photoshop magician.

@takinu @ButtNutz

As I stated, this project will require some skill and lot's of time and attention. Without colorization, the image will not look like the sample oil painting that was provided.

Even with the "Oil Paint Filter" it still looks like the original sketch.

I think that looks pretty good, thanks very much :D

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's an excellent job Antsy! I really like that! Have you tried making the eye all black?

@Eggy sent you a pm.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
@AntsInThePants

Nice job with the coloring!

You could now take it a step further as in your first post, and make it look like an old painting.

One possibility is to match the colors of your design with the colors in the oil painting you uploaded. (Image - adjustments - Match Color)

egernjpg  match color.jpg

A second possibility is to use the texturize filter set as 'canvas'

egernjpg  texturize.jpg

And a thirth possibility is to add a 'craquelé' effect like an old by time affected painting. (A craquelé image set as multiply blend mode on top of your image)
You can brighten it up but you'll lose the 'old and weary' effect.

egernjpg  craquelé.jpg

I'm not a fan of the PS oil paint filter which looks unnatural to me but thats another possibility.

egernjpg  oil paint.jpg egernjpg  oil paint 2.jpg

Last edited:
@AntsInThePants

Nice job with the coloring!
And a thirth possibility is to add a 'craquelé' effect like an old by time affected painting. (A craquelé image set as multiply blend mode on top of your image)
You can brighten it up but you'll lose the 'old and weary' effect.

Wow, that looks really good. Love the crackled effect, how do you do that? I don't quite understand what 'multiply blend mode' is :p

gedstar

Guru
This is what Eggy is talking about

This is just a Cracked Texture image I downloaded and placed it on top of the main image and set the blend mode to Multiple

Untitled.jpg

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Here's the craquelé texture I used

CraquelureTexture.jpg

Now open your picture and the craquelé picture placing the craquelé on top of your picture

tut 001.jpg

Activate the craquelé layer and select from the blend mode picker 'multiply'

tut 002.jpg

And you get this

tut 003.jpg