What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I achieve this glass effect?

coatham

Hey,

I was wondering how I could create this glass effect on this logo, with the light reflecting off it?

Unknown.png

Thanks,
Chris.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The text or the button?

If your referring to the button, it's not a perfect match for your example but here is a nice tutorial that will show you how to get started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGZpzFA4ICo

The text is a layer style. I would have to play with it for a while to figure out what might have been done. You can do a Googie search on "Photoshop Glossy Text Layer Styles" and see if you can find one that's already made, otherwise it's just trial and error.

HTH

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@coatham Not sure what level of experience you have with Photoshop, so I'll do a quick rundown on how I have done this.

I first use the Rounded Rectangle Tool to create the Red rectangle.
I did add a slight Bevel and Emboss.
Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 11.28.31 AM.png

I duplicated the RR layer and changed it's color to white.
(I removed the BG for visibility)
Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 11.28.56 AM.png

Since I only needed a portion of the the white RR to show, I made a selection of the left end using the Rectangular Marquee Tool.
I then added a layer mask to the white RR layer by clicking the 'add layer mask' icon on the bottom of the layers panel.
(I think I had to reverse the mask, Cmd/Cntrl + I, because I selected the wrong end.)
Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 11.29.37 AM.png

So it now looks like this.
Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 11.29.56 AM.png

Create a new layer.
Cmd/Cntrl + click one of the RR layers to make a selection like this.
Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 11.45.43 AM.png

Then use the gradient tool, set to the 'foreground to transparent' pre-set, color black, and while holding the shift key create two even gradients top and bottom pulling from the outside inward.
Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 11.45.52 AM.png

Hit Cmd/Cntrl + D to deselect.
Should look like this.
Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 11.30.11 AM.png

Create a new layer.
Going back to the RR tool, set to 'path' create your glossy sheen layer.
Right click and choose 'make a selection'
Then choose the Gradient Tool again, set foreground to white, pull a gradient from the top to the bottom.
Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 11.30.30 AM.png

Here's where it gets a bit tricky.
Again , using the RR tool set to 'path', make another selection (as we did above) of the area you wish to remove from the glossy sheen layer.
(I did use the 'Direct Selection Tool' to alter the path a little at the bottom.)
Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 11.30.46 AM.png

Once I had the selection, I then used it to add a layer mask to this layer.
Now looks like this...
Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 11.31.09 AM.png

All that was left to do was to lower the Glossy Sheen layers-layer opacity to about 50%
Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 11.31.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 11.57.30 AM.png

Last edited: