What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop work efficiency

ElDiabloRojo

Hello. Happy New Year :). Tell me about How to do the following in Photoshop:
1. How to cut one text layer into two layers. For example layer with text: TEXT123 into layers: 1) TEXT and 2) 123
2. How to set the size in pixels of a single image (layer)?
3. How to crop a single image (layer)?
4. How to remove (not hide) all guides

P.S. If i've chosen wrong forum section - move this topic to relevant section :)

Hello and welcome to the forum. Happy new year to you too.
1. How to cut one text layer into two layers. For example layer with text: TEXT123 into layers: 1) TEXT and 2) 123
Simply use the text tool, select the "TEXT" portion of TEXT123, cut using Ctrl X, select the tick mark above (or Ctrl + Enter), Then while Text tool is still selectd, click on another portion of the screen and paste. You will now have two layers, one with text "TEXT" and another one with "123".
Check out the Properties Floating window tool. If it is not visible, go to Window in the top tool bar and make sure a tick mark is against Properties in that list. You can change the size of the layer in pixels inside the Properties window.
Just make a selection of what you want to be visible and click on layer mask to mask off what you do not want to see. This is a non destructive method, allowing you to get back portions that are masked.
Use the Move tool, click and hold the unwanted guide, drag and drop it in the ruler if you have it or just off the screen to get rid of it.

P.S. If i've chosen wrong forum section - move this topic to relevant section :)
I suppose this should have been in General Photoshop Board.
Any further questions, do not hesitate to ask after trying out the suggestions.

You can do what @polarwoc describes, or you can you can also use Free Transform (Cmd/Cntrl + T) and enter your dimensions into the width and height windows of the tool options bar. If your W&H are set to inches, just mouseover the window and right click and choose pixels. But bare in mind, a layer mask added later will change the dimensions of the visible pixels but not the size in pixels of the image in the layer.

Use the Rectangular Marquis Tool. Then do what @polarwoc stated. If you use other methods/tools to make a selection, you may have to invert the selection (Cmd/Cntrl + I) when adding a layer mask.

You can also go to VIEW > CLEAR GUIDES This clears all guides with a single click.

You can do what @polarwoc describes, or you can you can also use Free Transform (Cmd/Cntrl + T) and enter your dimensions into the width and height windows of the tool options bar. If your W&H are set to inches, just mouseover the window and right click and choose pixels. But bare in mind, a layer mask added later will change the dimensions of the visible pixels but not the size in pixels of the image in the layer.
Thank you.

Simply use the text tool, select the "TEXT" portion of TEXT123, cut using Ctrl X, select the tick mark above (or Ctrl + Enter), Then while Text tool is still selectd, click on another portion of the screen and paste. You will now have two layers, one with text "TEXT" and another one with "123".
Thanks. How to do this, so that coordinates of text will be preserved?

Another question:
How to insert an image / layer at the place where the mouse cursor is?

1.png
1) This is the text I typed on a background with white. You can see the text in a layer above the background layer.
2) Select Text tool. As you hover over the image, you see a cursor pointer with bounded box. When you hover over the text on screen, the bounded box around the pointer disappears. This is when you can start selecting text you want to cut out. In this instance, I am cutting out "Sci" after selecting it and pressing Ctrl + X.
3) This is what you see after cutting. Press the Tick mark above to accept changes to text layer.
4) Now click on anywhere except where you see the cursor without bounding box. Then, paste using Ctrl + V. Select the Tick mark above to accept changes. Adjoining, you see how a new Text layer is created.

How to do this, so that coordinates of text will be preserved?
After step 4 above when you have two text layers, you can just select the Move tool and move either of the text layers wherever you want.

How to insert an image / layer at the place where the mouse cursor is?
Photoshop does not have the restrictions of a Word Processing Software like MS Word. You can move elements wherever you want. If I did not understand your question, maybe ask with a pictogram of what you want to achieve.

After step 4 above when you have two text layers, you can just select the Move tool and move either of the text layers wherever you want.
Thx

Photoshop does not have the restrictions of a Word Processing Software like MS Word. You can move elements wherever you want. If I did not understand your question, maybe ask with a pictogram of what you want to achieve.
When i'm selecting an image and coping it. I want to paste it where the mouse cursor is. By default it will paste in center of the screen.

When i'm selecting an image and coping it. I want to paste it where the mouse cursor is. By default it will paste in center of the screen.
While the cursor is in text mode, you can only paste text from clipboard and not images. If you have an image in clipboard and use Ctrl + V while you are in Text mode, nothing will happen.
If you want text on either side of an image, you should use two text layers on either side of the image.
1.jpg

Maybe I am unable to understand what you are asking. If you meant you wanted to place a picture on top of text, just have text and picture on different layers and then just use the Move tool to place picture over text or vice versa. Like this:
1.jpg

Back