What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I add an emboss effect like this example?

Starfox

Hi Guys,

New here and new to graphic design. I was wondering if someone could help me recreate this emboss effect as I think it's beautiful and I would like to learn how to do it. I know how to create these effects in general, but I would like to get it as close to the style and texture as these images. Thanks for any help.

pic 1.jpgpix2.jpg

ex_teacher

Guru
I created your emboss EFFECT design and did a screen capture of one of the two layers that were embossed. You can see in the screen capture that there is a layer of rasterized type called 'eF' and another layer of smaller rasterized type called 'emboss EFFECT' and a third layer called Paper BackGrd. I kept those two upper layers separate because the emboss effect might be somewhat different because of the delicate vs bold areas that are affected but that's really up to the designer.

So we are both on the same page, the emboss effect basically attempts to 'stamp-down' the affected layer onto the surrounding background layer. That creates a shadow and highlight from the 'sides' of the stamped down background and also creates a shadow on that affected layer (ie 'eF' or 'emboss EFFECT') from the 'walls' of the stamped down portion.

Double click on the layer you want to be embossed and then double click on the 'Bevel and Emboss' dropdown. A Bevel and Emboss screen then pops up with all the parameters you will need. You can play with your own settings to get the look you are after. Some of the setting are dependent on the pixel size of the entity you are working on. Obviously a pixel (px) width of 10 pixels in a 20 pixel shape looks much different in a 200 pixel shape when seen for any 'distance'. Some aspects like 'shading angle' are intuitive whereas I had to think a bit on what lighting altitude meant. Everything is obvious in hindsight:)

I hope this helps. Good luck

embossEFFECT_1.jpg

embossEFFECT_screen cap_1.jpg

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There are several ways to do this in Ps and here is one way that matches your examples.

Gray layer on top. I used a Solid Color fill adjustment layer.
Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 3.31.44 PM.png

Then a white rounded rectangle layer below.
Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 3.32.07 PM.png

Add layer mask to the grey (top) layer.
Make a selection of the Whit Rectangle by holding Cmd/Cmtrl + click the thumbnail.
Select the mask and fill the selection with black.
(Note: Shown here without the white rectangle layer active)
Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 3.32.27 PM.png

Still on the gray layer, ad a layer style by double clicking the body of the layer in the layers panel.
Add a pattern overlay. Set to Multiply.
Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 3.32.56 PM.png

Add a Gradient Overlay.
Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 3.33.07 PM.png

Finally, add a Bevel & Emboss (Inner Bevel)
Add a Drop Shadow.
(Note: Shown here with the white rectangle layer active)
Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 3.33.57 PM.png

Move to the White Rectangle layer.
Add a layer style.
Add a Pattern overlay..........the same as the other layer.
Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 3.34.07 PM.png

Add a Gradient Overlay.
Reverse.
Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 3.34.57 PM.png

Add a Color Overlay.
Done!
Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 3.37.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 3.39.22 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's another version where you only apply layer styles with no layer masking or bevel and emboss.
(Note: This is my preferred method. I usually do this on text but it works better for this effect..........easier to edit)

Same Background as demonstrated above.

Here the Rectangle layer has been rotated and has a layer style with the following settings.
Inner shadow.
Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 8.25.23 AM.png

Pattern Overlay
Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 8.26.13 AM.png

Gradient overlay
Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 8.27.41 AM.png

Color overlay
Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 8.28.26 AM.png

And finally the Drop Shadow set to white
Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 8.29.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 8.32.00 AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You can also add any paper or other texture to the background and the rectangle by using clipping masks.

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 9.31.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 9.32.02 PM.png

Starfox

I created your emboss EFFECT design and did a screen capture of one of the two layers that were embossed. You can see in the screen capture that there is a layer of rasterized type called 'eF' and another layer of smaller rasterized type called 'emboss EFFECT' and a third layer called Paper BackGrd. I kept those two upper layers separate because the emboss effect might be somewhat different because of the delicate vs bold areas that are affected but that's really up to the designer.

So we are both on the same page, the emboss effect basically attempts to 'stamp-down' the affected layer onto the surrounding background layer. That creates a shadow and highlight from the 'sides' of the stamped down background and also creates a shadow on that affected layer (ie 'eF' or 'emboss EFFECT') from the 'walls' of the stamped down portion.

Double click on the layer you want to be embossed and then double click on the 'Bevel and Emboss' dropdown. A Bevel and Emboss screen then pops up with all the parameters you will need. You can play with your own settings to get the look you are after. Some of the setting are dependent on the pixel size of the entity you are working on. Obviously a pixel (px) width of 10 pixels in a 20 pixel shape looks much different in a 200 pixel shape when seen for any 'distance'. Some aspects like 'shading angle' are intuitive whereas I had to think a bit on what lighting altitude meant. Everything is obvious in hindsight:)

I hope this helps. Good luck

View attachment 132429

View attachment 132430

Thanks for the tips, I am only getting to play around with this now. It will take a while to master it I think.

emboss 3.jpg B&E2.jpg

In the original post, the examples I posted still have the original color. How would I do this? For example, I would like to keep the fox color

emBOSS-2.png

Starfox

There are several ways to do this in Ps and here is one way that matches your examples.

Gray layer on top. I used a Solid Color fill adjustment layer.
View attachment 132432

Then a white rounded rectangle layer below.
View attachment 132433

Add layer mask to the grey (top) layer.
Make a selection of the Whit Rectangle by holding Cmd/Cmtrl + click the thumbnail.
Select the mask and fill the selection with black.
View attachment 132434

Still on the gray layer, ad a layer style by double clicking the body of the layer in the layers panel.
Add a pattern overlay. Set to Multiply.
View attachment 132435

Add a Gradient Overlay.
View attachment 132436

Finally, add a Bevel & Emboss (Inner Bevel)
Add a Drop Shadow.
(Note: Shown here with the white rectangle layer active)
View attachment 132437

Move to the White Rectangle layer.
Add a layer style.
Add a Pattern overlay..........the same as the other layer.
View attachment 132438

Add a Gradient Overlay.
Reverse.
View attachment 132439

Add a Color Overlay.
Done!
View attachment 132440
View attachment 132441

This looks really nice, thanks. I am having issues attempting it, simply because I am kind of new to PS. The below wont work for me, I will Make a selection of the White Rectangle and Select the mask and fill the selection with black, but nothing happens. I know this is probably really simple to do

''Add layer mask to the grey (top) layer.
Select the mask and fill the selection with black.''

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In the original post, the examples I posted still have the original color. How would I do this?
With the color overlay that I show in post #5.
OR.........
You can just add the fox colored image on the top of the layer stack and set the blending option to multiply or overlay, or add layer style effects.
Works with both techniques described above.
1rst
Screen Shot 2022-10-08 at 8.34.29 AM.png
2nd
Screen Shot 2022-10-08 at 8.38.08 AM.png
The below wont work for me, I will Make a selection of the White Rectangle and Select the mask and fill the selection with black, but nothing happens.
Not sure what you may be doing wrong. If you follow the instructions, it should work. You may have to post more details and screenshots to demonstrate the problem you are having.

I know this is a Photoshop Forum.
But sometimes I think certain problems can be solved faster and with perfect quality in a 3D program.
This image is done with Blender. You would just need basic knowledge to get this result.
As Starfox is new to graphic design, This approach might be helpful for him.

Bevel Blender chrisdesign.jpg