What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

printer settings

jack3216

This is a strange question. In photoshop7 i make a page to print out yellow but it prints out blue. Could this have anything to do with my colour management settings in adobe when i go into print preview. I have tried 2 different sets of cartridges so i dont think it is them and im getting no error messages.

Pls post the PSD file that is giving u trouble. Without it, we can't tell u anything. At best, all we can do is go down the list of the top 100 causes for problems like this.

Tom

That's Photoshop's default file format.
Photo Shop Document.

Since you asked the question I assume you saved the image as a jpg.

Saving a file as a PSD or Tiff preserves all the layers and adjustment layers.
Saving as a jpg, gif, png, flattens the image.

You didn't leave any leeway in your question.
You said yellow prints out blue, not blue tint, or a bit on the blue side, etc.
A screen shot of the original and even a photo of the print would be helpful.

Try cleaning and realigning your print heads.

Try printing another image with predominant yellow colors.

If it still persists, something may be clogging the connection of the red cartridge to the print head .....

Are you using generic ink cartridges? These will inadvertently affect Epson printer heads. Not much on other printer brands , but Epson doesn't ingest generic inks that well. Or the cartridge is faulty which is inherant to generic Ink cartridges.

I have quickly checked my cartridges which are genuine Epson and everyting seems ok. Before i do a more thorough check regarding printer I want to accertain my adobe and printer settings would not be causing a communication error between photoshop and the printer. I apoligise for my ignorance and appreciate your help.

Attachments

• Adobe Photo.7 Setting.psd
    137.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Epsom Print Settings.psd
    149.3 KB · Views: 4
Have you tried printing another image with yellow a dominant color?

As suggested by the others , it will help if you upload the image or screenshot of your photoshop image

I'm not sure what kind of control and settings you have in Elements but in Photoshop your settings would be wrong.
If Elements has a setting to have Photoshop handle color management you need to choose that option and turn off all color management setting, color enhancements, edge smoothing, etc. in the printer settings.

The color space settings need to be the same as the source.
If the image uses sRGB and you use Adobe 1998 in you printer settings, that will cause a problem.
The exact paper needs to be listed be listed in the prints pace profile.

For example if you're printing on a non-Epson paper, say Canon Luster, using a Epson Luster profile will give you unpredictable results.
Also, you need to calibrate your monitor even if you used a built in utiity.

Flowers marked x should be yellow. Other one is a page that should have printed yellow

Attachments

• photoshop0004.psd
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
  • photoshop0005.psd
    4 MB · Views: 6
I looked at the PS files that you just posted, and indeed, they definitely have a strong cyan cast, and should print with that cyan cast. I see nothing wrong (or even unusual) with the settings. This tells me that the problem is at some stage before they got into PS, or in the process of importing them into PS.

So, where did these images come from? Exactly how did you bring them into PS?

Tom

The "cyan" image is just an A4 white sheet which had the paint bucket tool used as yellow in the swatches and this is how it printed out. The second image was taken from google image and are supposed to be daffodils.

OK, take a look at this psd file. It's a perfectly color balanced photo of a family in a park setting (sRGB, 8 bpc). All the skin tones are great. The baby is wearing a bright yellow top. Tell us how it looks to you. Tom

Attachments

• family_in_park-test-8bpc_cropped.psd
    752.1 KB · Views: 6
OK. That's really useful info. It tells me that your installation of PS is working well, and that if an image looks good to you in PS, it really is good, and if it looks bad to you in PS, it really IS bad.

If your problematic images look bad to you in PS, not just when printed, it also confirms my suspicion that the problem you are facing is arising before (or when) the images are brought into PS.

One last test: print out the image I just sent you. Almost certainly, it won't look quite as good as what you see on screen, but it shouldn't look absurdly blue or have any really major problems. If, by some chance it does, then you have problems on both the ingest and the printing side, but I don't expect this.

I'll be away from the computer till very late tonight, so talk to you then.

Don't worry. We'll get to the bottom of this.

Cheers,

Tom

I really appreciate your interest in helping me. Unfortunately i cannot do as you request because i have my printer stripped down looking for blockages. I have sent you a photo i printed before i discovered my problem for your comment with the settings of photoshop7 and my printer to see what your views are. I have long wondered the revelence of these settings and could never get a proper answer.
Colour Management For Printer
Source Space Colour Management
x Document Adobe RGB(1998) x ICM
Print Space
Profile:Epson PX830 730 Artisan
Intent: Relative Colourmetric
x Use Blackpoint Compensation

Attachments

• Balto.pdf
    441 KB · Views: 7
really appreciate your interest in helping me. Unfortunately i cannot do as you request because i have my printer stripped down looking for blockages. I have sent you a photo i printed before i discovered my problem for your comment with the settings of photoshop7 and my printer to see what your views are. I have long wondered the revelence of these settings and could never get a proper answer.
Colour Management
Source Space Colour Management
x Document Adobe RGB(1998) x ICM
Print Space
Profile:Epson PX830 730 Artisan
Intent: Relative Colourmetric
x Use Blackpoint Compensation For Printer; Colour Management x ICM

Hi Jack - A question re your statement: "...The "cyan" image is just an A4 white sheet which had the paint bucket tool used as yellow in the swatches and this is how it printed out. The second image was taken from google image and are supposed to be daffodils..."

Immediately after you used the paint bucket tool (presumably with yellow), did the image ever turn yellow, even if only for a second, or did it turn immediately cyan?

Tom

Back