What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

printer settings

Yes Steve i have done the pelimerary steps and found knowing untoward that is why i wanted to know if there was maybe a communication problem with my settings in photoshop and my printer before i go to the next level in checking my printer for issues. What i feel might be wrong is there is an airlock in the print head in the yellow tube. If i am assured my PS7 settings are ok i will work on the assumption it is a Printer fault.

TM: "Immediately after you used the paint bucket tool (presumably with yellow), did the image ever turn yellow, even if only for a second, or did it turn immediately cyan?"

OP: "No Tom it printed out cyan"

When I specified, "even if only for a second", I was referring to the image on your screen, not the printed output.

T

Steve: "It may be as simple as a clogged printer head"

I guess he could have printer problems in addition to a serious problem much earlier in his workflow. However, the existence of the latter seems very clear since (a) both of the PSD files he posted yesterday have a very strong cyan cast, and (b) normally colored images (eg, the one I sent him) apparently display properly on his system.

From what I think he said, it seems like he can't even get PS's yellow brush / paint bucket to give the correct color within PS, yet the swatches (and probably the rest of the UI) are displayed in the correct colors.

At this point, I'm leaning towards suggesting he reset PS's preference file.

T

Your image (photoshop005) is in RGB and has a cyan tone. Yellow is a mix of basically Red and Green. Blue or Cyan itself might be in the mix but just a trickle.

Therefore, your image will not print in yellow despite whatever adjustment you do with either the PS or printer setting. The only way you will get the cyan tone print is if the red and green ink cartridges doesn't dispense the required amount because of blockage. Did you try printing other images to see if it prints all the required colors?

And which is why I too share Tom's thoughts - did parts of the image you applied the paint bucket tool turn yellow?

If you don't mind - Can you do that image again? starting with the white A4 like you mentioned , selecting yellow in swatches and using the color bucket? How did you create the lines?

Another point.... In the PS swatches... the RGB yellow has a tint (6%) of Cyan which will print out as very, very light cyan if the yellow cartridge was blocked. If you used CMYK Yellow, there's no other color in the mix and will be the only ink which will be dispensed out.

If RGB yellow was used, does it print out lihght cyan or as dark as the cyan in the image? If its dark as the image, its because the image is the cyan you have in the first place.

i used all the different yellow swatches and they appeared true yellow on my monitor before printing. Its only when i printed out the result was a cyan colour. The image i or should i say a a4 yellow page i sent you was a saved one before i printed it and it would appear just the same if sent another one.

Tom its looking like it is photoshop7 is not reconising as you put yellow brush/paint bucket. Because i have done the following elimination.
I stripped print head and cleaned all tubes to remove any air bubbles.
I then done a print head clean and a nozzle print check all patterns were fine including yellow.
I then printed a yellow page with exactly same result a cyan print out
Next i saved the yellow page on my PC.
Then using the Epson Photo software you get with printer i successfully printed yellow page.
In PS I used paint bucket to print a cyan page.
Not understanding how PS works im baffled about all this. I would be grateful for your opinion. You mentioned something about re setting pre sets. When i at first got this problem i unistalled photoshop and re installed it to see in that would help. I am the first to admit i am away out of my depth.

Jack - I'm really confused. :-(

In post #11 in this thread, you sent us two PSD files - the sheet of paper and a picture of some flowers that you got off of the web. Both of these should have had normal color balances, but they both showed a strong cyan cast when I viewed them on my system.

Next, I sent you a well color-balanced photo of a family in the park, and you essentially said that its color was fine.

Before we move on to the printer and its odd color output, we first have to figure out whether or not photoshop is (occasionally?) sending the printer correctly colored files or not.

Maybe I read too much into those two PSD files, but my assumption from you posting and sending those files was that they were representative of the general behavior of your system, ie, almost everything that you generate yourself has a strong cyan cast ( ON YOUR MONITOR ).

Please just ignore the printer for the moment. When one is diagnosing a problem like this, one must be rigorously systematic and work one's way through the system from start to finish, one stage at a time. At this point, I'm still not sure whether the cyan cast is generated before or just after the image arrives in PS, or is it present only when printing, and if most images that you make yourself, when viewed on your monitor, have decent color balance or not.

Anyway, pls. tell me if most images that you generate yourself have a strong cyan cast (WHEN VIEWED ON YOUR MONITOR).

Tom

Tom may i first say thank you again for you williness to help and patience. I know its very frustrating trying to explain my situation because nothing seems logical. I will try and e as simple as possible in answer you questions.
Looking at image on Monitor it appears normal to me certainly no pronounced cyan colouring.
The page i made yellow using THE PAINT BUCKET tool which is yellow on my monitor I saved and after printing it PS7 i got again cyan colour. I then used the Epson Easy Photo Print software which came with printer and and went to saved yellow page and it printed yellow no problem. Also i done a head cleaning on my printer and printed a nozzle check which was acceptable including the yellow. I also printed out a saved image of a picture which included a yellow rose in PS7 and the result was ok.
I reinstalled PS7 and got this first time message when i opened it. I took a screen shot off it could you please explain it. None of these things i have done make logical sense and in my humble opinion PS7 is not reconisine yellow in the Paint bucket tool. I am in your hands Tom because I have not a clue.

Attachments

• A PS7.psd
    361.8 KB · Views: 3
Jack... A scratch disk is space in hard drive or an assigned hard drive in your cpu used by Photoshop for temporary storage of data being processed by PS. This is usually in your C drive by default. Assigning the scratch disk to a secondary drive increases Photoshop's performance.

This has no bearing with your problem so its OK. But if you have a second drive in your cpu, it's a good idea to change the default setting.

It's part of learning.... you have to encounter a problem first then look for the solution. We'll try something else

Can you try this.... Restart Photoshop to change the preference setting. This is usually done when Photoshop acts strange. The preference are settings that can be customized to make PS run better. Sometimes it can get corrupted. Changing the settings is another matter we can teach you later.

There are 3 keys to press and hold down at the same time ... Ctrl+Alt+Shift ... use 3 fingers of your left hand to hold down the keys at the right hand side of your keyboard. (Hoping those keys are there. On some models, the shift or CTRL are not there)

Immediately after you hit the launch icon of PS, hold them down. PS will ask "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Setting File.... click yes.

Open your image and try print again.

Hope this works.....

TY another thing i noticed when i was reinstalling PS there was also an option to install ADOBE POSTSCRIPT DRIVER 4.5 what is this

Its a universal Printer Driver. It enable you to print documents from applications running in Windows platforms to any printer that includes Adobe PostScript Level 2 or Adobe PostScript 3.

Did you allow the install? It won't hurt to allow it.

By some luck it might clear the problem.... I was thinking this because you mentioned you used the Adobe Print Easy?

In answer to that its a seperate install but it would not let me install it.
As regards to other there is some progress i done to the letter your insructions did not use any settings and printed a yellow page using paint bucket. It printed YELLOW in lines down the page. Dont know if this is revelent but it did not print cyan as before

Back