What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

download help

imagemaker

I have been installing Design Standard from the Adobe site. After I download I am asked to run or save. I choose save and then I am prompted to pick a program to open the downloaded file. I choose Photoshop, the file on the desktop turns into a PS icon and then it runs. But why am I being asked what program to open the download with, where is the rest of Design Standard, and how come I'm not being asked to put in a serial number?

Please help asap. Thanks!

MrToM

Guru
You have two choices...

1. Download both files and run the exe.
2. Download just the 7z file and extract it...then run setup.exe

Essentially you only need the 7z file....all the .exe file does is extract the .7z and auto run the setup.exe but to be honest its just as easy to do it yourself.

You are probably being asked to choose a program to extract the 7z file....if you have 7zip then choose it, if not get it and use it instead of winzip or whatever....its much much better.

This is probably also a trial version of the product so no need for a serial....yet.

Regards.
MrToM.

gedstar

Guru
Ah Jesus MrToM I was just about to post more or less the same :rofl:

Here's a link for 7-Zip
http://www.7-zip.org/

Just on another note, during the install you have the option to install as a trial or input a serial number. So you can activate it during the install if you have a valid Serial Key

Last edited:

imagemaker

So it's downloading a trial which will soon expire? And when I have to choose a program I should choose a zip program? Can I re-download on top of the trials on the same computers?

gedstar

Guru
You need to download both of these files
Untitled.jpg

File 2 of 2 is a .exe file if you double click on that after downloading both files it will extract the files for you, you should then see a set-up file to install the applications
You can either install as a trial and input your serial key later or input your serial key during install

After extracting the files, if you look in the extracted folder you should see something similar to this
Untitled.jpg

Just double click on the set-up executable file to run the install

Sorry but this question I don't really understand
"Can I re-download on top of the trials on the same computers?"

Have you already downloaded the files?

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
If you mean 'Can I download the file again to start the trial again..?' then no.

Normally you get 30 days, after that you need to buy it to continue using it.

A no, I don't know.....before you ask.

Regards.
MrToM.

gedstar

Guru
I'm totally confused :shocked:

Have you purchased the above package before and want to re-install, judging by this statement I would assume so
"And how come I'm not being asked to put in a serial number?

Exactly what serial number do you have?

You also mention this
"I choose Photoshop"

So I would assume you have some kind of Adobe License

Can you please explain what Adobe products you have already installed and what you are trying to install

Time for horror movie and some beer for me :devilish:

Last edited:

imagemaker

So heres the situation.

Adobe phone support (seems to be in India) always helps. I have a license for installing my disk on many computers at my school. For some reason, the XPs we have won't take the Design Standard disk to install. They try to install and then say its unsuccessful. Adobe on the phone tells me my disc has 32 and 64 bit versions both on the disc, but it doesn't work, so I've been downloading direct from the site. Windows come up that ask me to run, save and open and apparently that's where the problem has been coming from. I found that when I saved the file I could make a folder automatically and then I'd get the set up option. Then the extraction would happen, I'd eventually be asked for my serial number and the install would happen successfully.

However I'm still trying to understand what happened before. I would go to the site, run the Design Standard and then eventually get prompted to choose a program to open it. I'd choose Photoshop and then the icon on the desktop would turn into a PS one. I'd be able to open and run PS but no sign of Design Standard. Then I realised since through all of this I was never asked for the serial number and I never saw the Adobe install screen, that I must have been downloading a trial version.

Does that make sense?

gedstar

Guru
From what I can understand from your reply you were trying to open a ZIP file and Windows didn't know which application to use because you need a ZIP Extractor application to extract the files like 7-ZIP, when you choose Photoshop you associated the ZIP file with Photoshop as the application to open ZIP files. It's called file association, hence the icon changing to a PS icon.

Hopes this makes sense and explains where you went wrong :thumbsup:

So I can assume you got it installed and all is OK now :giggle:

imagemaker

Well I've had mixed success. It seems when I open that smaller file, an installer, and then open the larger file it usually works. So was I downloading a trial version? And where did DS go??? And do I really need 7 zip?