What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which profile to choose for 80gsm office paper while printing

Greetings
I would like to print images with Canon ip4600 printer on an a4 80gsm copy/office paper. I use photoshop cs5 so what should the icc colour profile be to print.
i have tried to print with glossy a6 paper but i get an yellow shade. thus i plan to make the a6 image into a pdf ,and print it onto a4.

Thanks in advance
Zafer

Tom Mann

Guru
There are so many ways that color management can go wrong, the quickest way for us to help you resolve your problem is if you post your PSD file for one of the problematic images. Please make it an image with people's skin and other well known "memory colors" (eg, clear blue sky, mid-day outdoor sunlight, etc.) visible, not some abstract or highly manipulated image for which people other than yourself are not likely to know the true colors.

BTW, you said, "...so what should the icc color profile be to print...". I presume you realize that when someone uses only the two words, "color profile", they usually are referring to the working color space (eg, sRGB, Adobe RGB 1998, ProPhoto, etc.). In contrast, when talking about printing, one usually says, something like, "the output device hardware profile", or the "printer color profile" to distinguish it from the working color space. Both types of profiles are defined by *.icc files, but they serve very different functions.

If you don't have an *.icc device profile for your specific combination of printer hardware, ink, and type of paper, the safest option is for you to generate the file to be printed in sRGB, which hopefully is also your working color space.

We're looking forward to seeing your PSD file.

Tom M

PS - For the moment, let's defer all discussion related to the PDF file, at least, until we know that your PSD file is ok.

There are so many ways that color management can go wrong, the quickest way for us to help you resolve your problem is if you post your PSD file for one of the problematic images. Please make it an image with people's skin and other well known "memory colors" (eg, clear blue sky, mid-day outdoor sunlight, etc.) visible, not some abstract or highly manipulated image for which people other than yourself are not likely to know the true colors.

BTW, you said, "...so what should the icc color profile be to print...". I presume you realize that when someone uses only the two words, "color profile", they usually are referring to the working color space (eg, sRGB, Adobe RGB 1998, ProPhoto, etc.). In contrast, when talking about printing, one usually says, something like, "the output device hardware profile", or the "printer color profile" to distinguish it from the working color space. Both types of profiles are defined by *.icc files, but they serve very different functions.

If you don't have an *.icc device profile for your specific combination of printer hardware, ink, and type of paper, the safest option is for you to generate the file to be printed in sRGB, which hopefully is also your working color space.

We're looking forward to seeing your PSD file.

Tom M

PS - For the moment, let's defer all discussion related to the PDF file, at least, until we know that your PSD file is ok.

i am unable to upload here fot some reason
but i have uploaded to mediafire
https://www.mediafire.com/?zn85din5zaok4kn

Tom Mann

Guru
You made the mistake that I mentioned as a possibility in my previous post. Specifically, you used the printer profile as a working color space. You need to start over and use one of the common color spaces, (sRGB is preferred at this point) as your working space, and then use the printer profile that you have only at the point when you are sending the image from PS to the printer.

Unfortunately, I am just about to head out of the door for the rest of the evening, but you can look up how to do this.

Cheers,

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
Sorry I didn't have time to complete my previous post, but here is some more info ....

First, here's a good, but slightly advanced intro to color management put out by Adobe:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/creativesuite/cs/using/WSBB0A8512-8151-408c-9F79-4A9E9E3BA84C.html .
You should study it carefully.

Second, there are many, many tutorials / descriptions of how to install a printer profile on your computer. Just Google { how do i install a printer profile }. There are slight differences in the process depending on whether you are using a Windows or a Mac, and what version of the OS you are using.

Third, may I ask how was the image that you posted generated? Was it a scan of a photo (or other art work), or was it done from scratch digitally. If it was a scan, optimally, you should install a scanner device profile, as well, but most decent quality, modern scanners do a reasonably good job of producing sRGB jpg output files, so, it's usually less critical to install a scanner profile than having printer profiles for each combination of printer, inkset and paper stock that you use. Of course, the most critical device profile you need is one for your monitor, but that's a whole other discussion.

Finally, may I suggest that instead of trying to infer & debug color errors from a piece of art whose original colors are essentially unknown (...or, at least not yet measured accurately), as your first step, you either make or download a simple test file: An sRGB file with a gray scale gradient. Don't worry if it appears to have a color cast on your monitor because your monitor is probably neither calibrated nor profiled, and certainly won't be accurate out of the box or with eyeball adjustments. Instead, just trust the numbers that you read with the eye dropper tool in PS. If R = G = B as you sample the gradient at various points, going from darks to lights, then if you send that file to your printer and the correct printer profile has been installed, there should be no color cast anywhere throughout the luminosity range of the gradient. Once that is verified, then you can move on to other aspects of color management.

I have some gray scale gradients already made up. As soon as I send this post, I'll move to my other computer, find one and post it.

Cheers,

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
Here are two gray-scale gradients that I promised in my previous post. Both are RGB files at 8 bits per channel, and in the sRGB color space. Ignore how they may look on your monitor, because it is most likely wrong. Instead, just print these and send them to your printer. If they have any color cast at all, it means that you either don't have any printer profile installed, or the one that you do have installed is not correct for the combination of printer hardware, the inks you bought for it, and the paper being used.

Please let me know the results of this test.

Cheers,

Tom M

Attachments

• 21_step_gray_wedge-1K_x_1K_x_16_bit.jpg
    21_step_gray_wedge-1K_x_1K_x_16_bit.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 0
  • monitor_calib_chart-01_sRGB.jpg
    monitor_calib_chart-01_sRGB.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Here are two gray-scale gradients that I promised in my previous post. Both are RGB files at 8 bits per channel, and in the sRGB color space. Ignore how they may look on your monitor, because it is most likely wrong. Instead, just print these and send them to your printer. If they have any color cast at all, it means that you either don't have any printer profile installed, or the one that you do have installed is not correct for the combination of printer hardware, the inks you bought for it, and the paper being used.

Please let me know the results of this test.

Cheers,

Tom M
Thanks Tom Mann , i shall try printing this out and will update u the same :)

for some reason i am getting this red tinge print with normal printing with plane paper. :(

Attachments

• CCI10042016_00000.jpg
    CCI10042016_00000.jpg
    551.5 KB · Views: 0
  • CCI10042016_00001.jpg
    CCI10042016_00001.jpg
    805.6 KB · Views: 0

Tom Mann

Guru
The magnitude of the problem makes it easy to diagnose. Most likely you are completely out of cyan ink or there is some other problem (eg, a broken hose) in the cyan ink flow path.

It's not a clogged cyan nozzle in the head because that would lead to red lines / stripes, not a completely red image.

Tom M

The magnitude of the problem makes it easy to diagnose. Most likely you are completely out of cyan ink or there is some other problem (eg, a broken hose) in the cyan ink flow path.

It's not a clogged cyan nozzle in the head because that would lead to red lines / stripes, not a completely red image.

Tom M

I am pretty sure the cyan ink ain't empty. i had done deep cleaning before and except cyan ,all the other colors seem completely sucked into the secondary chamber (towards the opening with the sponge as shown in the image,comparing yellow and cyan cartridges. ) and i get the warning message that the ink cartridge is almost empty.

is there any way to let out the cyan ink out of the cartridge ,to overcome the issues you mentioned ?

CCI10042016_00002.jpgCCI10042016_00003.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
Sorry, but all printers are different, and I am not familiar with yours. Try calling the mfgr.

Gotta run. We're taking off on a 10 day fall vacation on Wednesday, so I will likely have limited Internet access.

Cheers,

Tom M