What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D 3d show off room

Hey, thanks for the link there Stroker... I likes that Buzz... he's so cute, and pretty soon we will be seeing a "real" Buzz, so cool :perfect:

Alistair said:
How did that happen in the first place? [stuned]
Typing mistake while typing a new E-mail address in my profile, so be careful ;)

awesome. Huh? Im confused [confused] maya 4.5 is $7000, when i click on whats new and then when it loads click on the pic under powerful modeling tools for all, it brings me to maya complete which is $2000? [confused]

Maybe because you don't take time to read... :D

Maya Ultimate $6,999
Maya Complete $1,999

So when are you going to buy it, the Ultimate version I mean... :D

Tell you what... I am very interested in this Electric Images Universe package including the 700 mhz i-Book for 1300.oo from what I have seen in their Gallery re- renders... but... I truly do not have a good idea at all in how intuitive and robust the modeling tools are... so....

anybody out there running XP or Mac care to download the demo and let us know?

I would love to see some close up screen shots if anybody would be so inclined...

Looking forward

gidge

Ill get the demo gidgit, but isn't it like 30 megs or something (im guessing) Cause I have a 56k. I se now gausian, but in your opinion, do you really think I need the ultimate?
Maya complete has all this:
Modeling & Animation

Polygon Modeling
NURBS Modeling
Subdivision Surface Modeling
General Animation
Character Animation
Deformers
spacer
Dynamics

Rigid and Soft-Body Dynamics
Particles and Fields
spacer
2D and 3D Paint

Maya Artisan
Maya Paint Effects (2D and 3D)
3D Paint
spacer
Integration and Expandability

Rendering
Maya Embedded Language
Maya API and SDK
Integration and I/O

maya unlimited has all this, i think:
Atmospherics ? clouds, smoke, steam, fog
Open Water ? ocean swells, calm ocean, rough seas, white caps, foam
Pyrotechnics ? fire, explosions, nuclear blasts
Space Effects ? comets, meteors, nebulae
Viscous Liquids and Molten Solids ? lava, mercury, mud, etc.
And more?

and i don't know about the ultimate
Im REALLy really thinking about just getting maya complete, but, under system requirements it only says xp professional, not home, and that might have to do with all of maya, which would create a setback for me because I got "home" for christmas.

:rofl: home for christmas :D
any suggestions? Also, if I am thinking of just getting maya complete, I was thinking and looking at cinema 4d lately, and I really like it. What would the positives and negatives between the two be?

Ouch at 56k there Allister... hooboy... please don't bother....anyhoo I just visited the Universe forums to which there would appear to be more complaints than good stuff regarding the modeling tools, so other than what would seem to be the worlds best render engine there is nothing that interests me thus I seriously think I am going to pass on this one... sorry to get any excited... man, I still can't believe the worx posted in their gallery though... such realism in so many of the models... oh well...ugggggg :D :D

with regards to C4D, well Stu is no doubt the resident mystro concerning this app and will no doubt be more than able to answer your questions here... I only have C4D v5 and it is totaly different than v6/7 and/or 8...

Damn, back to the beginning... I was really excited about such nice rendering re-Universe, but if the modeling tools are not as intuitive as say Wings or W.H.Y then what can ya do eh?

When you get all of this stuff sorted out please do let us know which you have decided on and perhaps we can all texture, light and render a model done up by one of us, this way seeing just what is what within the scope of our limited experience of course ;) ;) [excited]

Good luck Allister... I really feel for you... too many choices, time ticking bye... :)

You know what gidgit? I'll just risk all I got, and download the demo with the T1 that downloads stuff at 100 kbps!!!!, and then put that to my 128 usb pen drive, because I am intrested in it to. lets not give up ;)

Buzz is coming along nicely there Stroker :perfect:

Alistair thing with Maya even though it is pretty good,is that you dont find very easily that every,yes "every" service upgrade,ie version 4.5 to say 4.5.1 has to be paid for,they are not free,so all that is on top of your initial 2 grand.I believe there are a few of those each year as well.

Electric image is a pretty good app with a good following.The thing is dont get dragged into an apps hype and end up spending to much money.For instance Maya as great as it is,is very time consuming and difficult to learn.Also Maya is not king of the block as there is also Softimage which I would buy myself over Maya if I was in that sort of cash zone that is.There is also a not very well known publicized app called Mirai which has what a number of pros call the best modeller,so dont be dragged into Mayas hype.

Max is a very good program,as is Lightwave.C4D is catching slowly and at the moment does not have a lot of the modelling tools that LW and Max etc have.Max is more expensive then LW and C4D,but a number of people tell me they find LW gui quite confusing,but most of all work out how much cash you can spend then get some demos,even if you have to do an overnight download on your modem it will save you some hassle.When you have demos find the one you like,doesnt matter what it is if you like it go for it if you can afford it.Thats my advice.

Stu.

Gauss thanks for the compliment bud but I am no master,maybe one day but not at this stage,I stiill have truckloads to learn yet :)

Stu.

Yea, well I got twice as many truckloads to learn than you Stu :p :p :D

To us you are the C4D guy to go to :perfect:

And yea re Marai, though at 6000.oo bucks yowsers... Wings is intended to go that way but how long is the question...

Allister, good attitude, I can hardly wait to view some screenshots... can't get my mind off those fantastic renders in that Gallery

Man my head is getting foggy with all the stuff one has to be aware of with this 3D stuff...ouch [confused] [confused]

That Metasequoia is a pretty decent little poly pusher, and has some ok stuff, but just when ya figure righton ya find out that you have to use a knife to divide whereby in wings ya simply hit any number and voila... or something like Metas... will subd the whole object yet will not do same for a simple face...also bridge and welding is easy in Wings but alas the durn thing slows down considerably when working with higher poly counts... and truly sucks for assembly of parts and pieces yet has pretty good welding , go figure...

Then ya get into stuff like say ya make a quad model in any app which will do so and export to Carrara in say .obj file and Carrara turns everything to tri's, yet if you saved same quad model as RayDream format then export to Carrara all is well and no tri's just good ole quads... wtf ?

ZBrush has the best deform tools of any( slider controls ) and yet sucks for modeling unless you can wrap your head around ZSpheres... hahaha, go figure eh... and though some may not like ZBrush UI I find it makes more sense than all others... load those tools you use the most down one side, and those least used down the other side, with a floating set only a right click away... the sides are click and open/hide... very good set up actually

C4D also has one of the best workflows for all things considered, and a ton of tools, is great for Spline/lathe etc yet could use some basic ngon handling...

TrueSpace has a ton of tools including 3D Paint and some good shaders, supports quad divide and smooth quad divide but really needs better viewports, as well better selection tools, and only recently supports spline creation in different views other than perspective or top... on and on it goes... uggggggg, and we havn't even touched onto NURBs, hyper, uber bla bla, and then there is the texturing, lighting, enviro FX, bones and animation.... rendering methods ie ray trace, radiosity, GI etc...

Yup, I needs a few truckloads of knowledge myself there Stu... and then there is imagination, which in my particular case comes and goes with the wind... haha

Na, I take my hat off to ya there Stu... ya stuck to one and went for it...

So yea Gauss, re a conversation we had a while ago... it does drive one nuts trying out so many different tools, but manoman, once ya get too far in and then realize some little tool in some other app saves many moves for some particular set of procedures then whatcha supposed to do... ? IMHO they should all play way nicer together through some souped up OLE which would see all as but simply plug in tools... pick those ya like from each app and put the rest aside... ah the stuff dreams are made of eh?

and then there is the terragon landscapes you all were creating... so very realistic, while my Carrara contains older tools for such and thus it would take a rocket scientist to create anything near what you guys were doing... so chaulk up one more app for the ol toolbox...

and we won't even go near Animation Master and it's powerful animation proweress... even though it's own following suggest it crashes way too often... amongst other issues

and this is but only the tip of the burg so to speak... hooboy on the mapping end of things... which many of you have down to a fine art, yet to me is more rocket science than is modeling...

too many choices not enough brains is my excuse... but, what the heck, we are still having a blast, that is when the ole brain doesn't hurt and the creative juices are actually present... ;) ;)

Good luck all, and most of all have fun eh... :D I have to get back to working on a little car I started a while ago... having a hard time rounding out some parts... man, and to think that we do this for fun? hahahahaha

Alistair said:
download the demo with the T1 that downloads stuff at 100 kbps!!!!
I thought T1 was quite fast [confused]
I'm always faster than 100kB/sec with my DSL and that it's not even shocking for DSL

Alistair, I wrote that earlier; if you don't know what you want, then we can't help you with what you want.

I never expected you to be interested in the top version of Maya, knowing that it costs 7 grand. Even the "cheap" version is still $2,000.
Like Stu said, even Maya is not the king of 3D; I was just testing you after you said that price doesn?t matter?

The fact is....and I keep repeating myself....it's what you want and you only. I agree with what has been said here, Maya is not easy to use, but still, some people do use it, for particular reasons. Everyone has a different reason to use a particular program.

And again, I want give an example...buying a car.
If you buy a car, does the sales person tell you first what all cars he has to offer or does he want to know your preferences...
THAT's the whole point. It makes not sense for any of us to say this is cheap, that's fast, that is user-friendly, this has lots of support, this is stable, this offers this, this offers that, etc.

You never took some serious time to play with 3D to find out what is really important for you. Don't let others push you in any directions, make up your own mind, but always be prepared to listen, read, ask and to play with demos, but always remember; people can only advice you if you know what YOU want.
If you say that it needs to have all the options, fastest speed, best render engine and that price makes no difference, etc., I?m sorry, but that doesn't sound like someone who really knows what he wants.

Don't take this personal, because I'm just trying to help you.

Look at me, I tried a lot of programs before I started to use Photoshop; 2 years I used PhotoPaint, a few years I used PicturePublisher, 4 years PhotoImpact and now Photoshop and only now I feel 100% comfortable with what I use. Trust me, I tried Photoshop years and years ago and always gave up after a few days; it was just not the right moment...

My persion opinion is; it makes no sense to come up with a list of 3D products and the good/bad sides, if non-one knows, inlcuding you, what you really want.

Keep that in mind ;)

Good luck :perfect:

Hey ... chill dude, sharing notes regarding apps and such is a cool thing... very cool IMHO

and suggesting that one doesn't know what they want, is a very rude thing... just my opinion

Explore on Allister... and keep us posted with any and all info regarding apps and the like ok? :perfect:

Comparing features to the max, and making those lists beforehand is the only way to go as far as I am concerned... [shhh] [shhh]

Few more tweaks on the armour are done. Once I get a few more armour tweaks in, I'm all about re-modeling his head.

Have I told you guys how much I love splines?

I love splines so much, I can't help but post the raw splines. These are before surfacing, meshsmoothing, and, for some, mirroring/lofting.

When I need to make changes, this is the level that I do it at.

Hey Stroker,

this looks really cool man... and haha on having so much fun with splines... it is nice to see people having so much fun with 3D... damn it is catchy man, though maybe you are having more fun than anybody has a right too.... :rofl: :rofl: :p just fun'n with yas... keep it going man, this is looking very way cool :perfect: :perfect:

Stroker, everything is starting to piece together more and more, it looks very good! :perfect: Gaus! hehe, it seems as though you like comparing everything with cars, are you a car fanatic? :p I see what your saying gaus. But well, i half/half see what your saying. I mean, if you make a list, it will give you more of a variety of prgs to chose from, to expieriment with to see which one fits your taste. Im just at the very end of that, I really like cinema 4d's options, but I just wanted to kinda double check on if I could find something similar, but more fits my type. ;)

Uh-oh. I think I'm in trouble. I just looked through our Toy Story movies and I have made some grevious errors in Buzz's armour. That's what I get for not doing my research more thoroughly before getting started.

Good thing I used splines!

Gidgit, 3d is my second love. I was getting involved in 3d back in 1984 when I started writing my own 3d progs in BASIC on a TRS-80 (programming is my first love). I got seriously sucked into 3d back around 1988 when I got my first Amiga 2000. I could tell you some 3d horror stories from those days. Gave up 3d for a few years while I learned PS. Now I'm getting my second wind for 3d.

When it's what you love to do, it's not work - it *is* more fun than should be allowed.
Woohoo!

Back