What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A little unfairness...

Laurynnem

Hi

I am a freelance Graphic and Web designer who joined this forum in hopes of finding some extra work.

This forum has been helpful in the past with getting me into contact with clients looking for design work - However - it is very different (and difficult) in some cases.

I created a topic in the freelance section offering my services to clients needing work done. I have had responses, but not without a certain moderator posting responses on my post that my defer some from using me. These are within "my" post requesting work. - Which I feel is unfair, as, if you want some work, then start your own topic and not post on those of other designers requesting the same.

Secondly when there is a new post from a client looking for someone to help - it is almost guaranteed that the moderator of the freelance section is the first to respond. Which in some respect yet again defers others from being considered as it usually works on first come first serve bases.

This is can only be possible due to either of the following: Either the moderator never sleeps, eats, uses the loo ect OR the moderator receives a notification for every post or topic written in that section - which leaves little chance for us that actually sleep, eat and use the loo ect and who don't get random notifications to respond within reasonable time.

I understand that all new freelance job postings are basically awarded to whoever responds first - but its almost impossible or at least improbable for one person to always be the first to respond on all of these, even offers posted on other designers posts.

I am greatly unhappy with this and I have been following the pattern for some time now.

Can anyone please explain to me on how this works - because otherwise we are all better off de-registering from the forum as it serves no real purpose to freelancers if one member is snatching up everything.

Thanks

lol you sound like a sore loser, if someone gets to a post before you it's only your fault not anyones else. I don't get many freelance jobs from here. so your assumtion is dead wrong you have nine post here does that even qualify you to be responding to the freelance section according to the rules? let's see
"Rules for Freelancers in This Section

Requirements:
PSG members must have been members of the Photoshop Gurus forum for 30 days or longer, and have a minimum of 30 posts in order to respond to buyers request in this section. Buyers want to know that you are reputable and that they can trust you, and posting a link to your work and claiming to be the leading design firm in your country as your first post will get you banned. NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS RULE."

from what I read, no you do not ...maybe you should read up a bit before accusing me of being unfair. there are many freelancers here looking for side jobs. earn your keep(qualifications) and eventually you'll find a job here and there.
http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/photoshop-freelance-work/26999-rules-freelancers-section.html

No one person gets all the work, I know because I've gotten several jobs off this site myself. I could of had one just yesterday but I declined it. My advice is to check in often and maybe you'll be first once in a while.

I am a freelance Graphic and Web designer who joined this forum in hopes of finding some extra work.

............. However - it is very different (and difficult) in some cases.

......... I have had responses, but not without a certain moderator posting responses on my post that my defer some from using me.

.............Secondly when there is a new post from a client looking for someone to help - it is almost guaranteed that the moderator of the freelance section is the first to respond. Which in some respect yet again defers others from being considered as it usually works on first come first serve bases................

.............. new freelance job postings are basically awarded to whoever responds first - but its almost impossible or at least improbable for one person to always be the first to respond on all of these, even offers posted on other designers posts. ......

......... I am greatly unhappy with this and I have been following the pattern for some time now. .......

Can anyone please explain to me on how this works - ........

As a moderator that does not do freelance work I'll be happy to help you understand how this all works.

There are specific rules that apply to this section written by the administrators, not the moderators.

http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/photoshop-freelance-work/26999-rules-freelancers-section.html

The relevant parts as it applies to you is below but please click on the link and read the whole thing so there's no misunderstanding.

"Requirements:
PSG members must have been members of the Photoshop Gurus forum for 30 days or longer, and have a minimum of 30 posts in order to respond to buyers request in this section. Buyers want to know that you are reputable and that they can trust you, and posting a link to your work and claiming to be the leading design firm in your country as your first post will get you banned. NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS RULE. "

The above was written by the administrators of this forum.

You have been a member of this forum for 3 1/2 months, you have 9 posts and that's fine.
The minimum requirement to respond to posts in the freelance section though is to be a member for not less than 30 days and have at least 30 posts.

When you meet that criteria you can seek work in this section.

This is a PS discussion forum not a place to look for work.
The freelance section is there for our contributing members to pick up some work if someone cares to post a job offer, it's not very active and only a couple of our members do this kind of work.

Freelance work is usually awarded to the best work not the first person to respond.
If you hope to get work from this section check often during the day and respond to the posts even if someone else has already responded.
You submit a watermarked sample, others submit a watermarked sample, the customer decides.

But first you need to meet the 30 post requirement.

Steve

Laurynnem, I can understand how you feel with regards to the matter.

But opening a thread to advertise your services does not nessarily mean that anyone who comes knocking at your door is exclusively yours. And it's not a question of who answers first.... it's who does the best work in the eyes of the customer. This is afterall, an open bidding, freelance forum.

And as a moderator, iDad has the right to point prospective clients to try others or for the customer to create a post calling for designers. You talk about fairness.... what would other freelancers here think that someone with just 9 posts is allowed to take part in work offers. While they had to build up their number of posts to meet the requirement. NOT JUST ANY POST.... A POST THAT SHOWS WHAT YOU ARE AS A DESIGNER USING PHOTOSHOP..... Why the number of posts rule? To build your reputation. Its for PSG to ensure that the clients who come in here get best work from any of the REPUTABLE freelancers within.

By virtue of the number of posts you have made in the forum, does not make you elligible to take part in freelance work. The moderators would have stopped you . But they didn't. You have in the past received succesful work orders. Come to think about it.... yours is the only name that appears here... http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/photoshop-freelance-work/27000-freelancer-reviews.html . Isn't that worth the extra plugging for you, an advantage over the others?

Most of the freelancers here has posts 20 times yours. I myself, have received a few PM's for work tho I've politely declined them and pointed the clients to post in the forum.

There's no need for you to feel sore about this issue. In fact I don't even know who won the contract... lol... who did anyway?

But I would suggest rather than feeling upst that you to take active part in the forum to build up your merits.

Last edited:
Firstly... Its not a matter of sore loser or I feel tragically done in. This is a matter of principal that I wanted to have enlightenment placed upon.

I am not ranting to moderators or any other freelancers. I am just stating the obvious according to what I see before my eyes when I read the forum.

For IDAD: Firstly - "...maybe you should read up a bit before accusing me of being unfair. there are many freelancers here looking for side jobs. earn your keep(qualifications) and eventually you'll find a job here and there." -
This site offers tutorials and information regarding Adobe products as well as a freelance section. This site is not and will never be an indication or the decider of ones skills or qualifications and although I may not know the forums rules and regulations by heart, as you clearly do - The matter should be corrected if posting ect is not allowed by someone who only has 9 post - it shouldn't be mentioned and put in the light, only once that member reacts in a manner you don't approve of - So all this time the forum rules are not followed (by me and you), but when a response is given that you are unhappy about then suddenly you say - oh by the way you breaking the rules. But non-the-less i suppose ignorance is bliss...

Steve - Thanks for the diplomatic response. That was the explanation I was after and not as IDAD's one where he just responds in the "BIG MAN" manner.

Lets just be clear on the matter for some who cant read! I never said "I want it All", I never said "Why is no one choosing me" - What I said was I noticed that 1 particular person is the first to respond in most posts and topics. I asked why it was so and how it was possible. If if was a continuous change - then there would be absolutely no problem here. There are many freelancers here who should once in a while be the first to respond. Also I said that I felt it was in bad taste to make a response to work posted in someone else's post!

I didn't cry, I didn't say why doesn't anyone pick me, I didn't nag to be chosen, I never cried wolf - i simply made a statement that in my opinion is true - I believe this is a diplomatic forum - therefore I shouldn't be shot or taunted because of my opinions.

The fact that I don't make many posts on this thread is because I don't respond on posts that already have responses - I'm not a shark looking to undermine anyone on this forum. I don't feel things are owed to me. And I also don't feel that Photoshop Guru's members have any place to tell me to have to prove myself first. To who and in what way? Just because you can post 1000+ posts, doesn't make you a member with great skills... - or is that all I need to do to earn my qualifications around here? If so that's Funny Because I thought I got mine 10 years ago...

IDAD: I have never claimed to be a leading design firm. I have never talked myself up above others. I believe that to each their own - Which means... that to some you are great and others you are rubbish! So therefore I have never ever said I am a leading designer or of the like in my country. Clearly your response lacked the research as did your moderating of the freelance forum by warning others if they did not adhere to the rules. Its seems that you spend more time responding to post regarding jobs than you do moderating the freelance section.

Back