What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A problem while merging 2 photos together

paulbuttrill

I'm trying to merge 2 photos together...a photo of me over a photo of a corridor in a hotel. That's easy enough but the problem is that the pic of me is too bright so I've adjusted the brightness (to make it darker) so it matches the brightness of the pic of the corridor but when I merge the 2 photos together the pic of the corridor goes darker too. That photo seems to have inherited the brightness adjust that I made on the photo of me. Is there a way to merge the photos so the pic I'm merging to (ie the corridor photo) doesn't change? I'm using Photoshop CS2. I hope I've explained it ok.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi paul and welcome.

Describe how you adjusted the brightness of yourself.

Use an adjustment layer that is clipped to the image of yourself only, that way the brightness change will not be mixed with image of the corridor when you merge them.

paulbuttrill

Thanks Sam. The way I adjusted the brightness was I clicked on 'Create new fill or adjustment layer' then chose 'Brightness/Contrast....' then made the adjustment. I only did that on the pic of me and when I dragged that pic over to the other one it adjusted that too. It was driving me mad. How do I clip the adjustment layer to me only?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You should be able to do this after you have dragged the image of your self into the other image, provided the adjustment layer went with it.

Right click the adjustment layer layer and select create clipping mask or hover your cursor between the two layers while holding down the alt/option key, you will see the cursor turn into a box with a black angled arrow pointing down, then click.

paulbuttrill

Brilliant. I right clicked and selected create clipping mask. That's saved me from getting a headache and quitting. Thanks very much.