What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Annotating images in Photoshop then return them to Lightroom

WesternGuy

I shoot a lot of IR landscape imagery. In a few recent images, I had some sort of artefact appear in the image. I want to take the image from Lightroom into Photoshop, outline the artefact and maybe add a bit of text or some "arrow" features and then return it to Lightroom when I will Export it for "publication" on an IR web site, together with an appropriate question. I am able to import the image from Lightroom to PS. I then use the free form pen tool to draw an outline around the artefact. When I return the image to Lightroom, the "outline" is not visible. How do I do this so I can see the "outline" for posting, or maybe LR does not support this kind of process. Any insight that anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.

WesternGuy

MrToM

Guru
Did you do anything with the path / shape once you created it?

You need to either 'Fill' and / or 'Stroke' any path / shape created with that tool.

The lines you see when you use any of the path / shape tools is there purely so you can see what you are doing.....you can't work with something you can't see...right?

Depending on whether you created a path / shape dictates what you do next.

Regards.
MrToM.

WesternGuy

Did you do anything with the path / shape once you created it?

You need to either 'Fill' and / or 'Stroke' any path / shape created with that tool.

The lines you see when you use any of the path / shape tools is there purely so you can see what you are doing.....you can't work with something you can't see...right?

Depending on whether you created a path / shape dictates what you do next.

Regards.
MrToM.

No, I did nothing withthe path/shape when I created it. What Iwas trying to do was outline an area where the artefact was so I could bring itto the attention of viewers when I posted the image. Perhaps Iwas using the wrong tool.

WesternGuy

MrToM

Guru
Not necessarily but if you only drew the 'path' or 'shape' then it does nothing but show you the 'path'.....this is not a visible element.

From what you're saying there may actually be an easier way.....see if this is anything near to what you intend doing...

2:40 NO AUDIO

You'll see I have a whole bunch of 'Arrow' shapes loaded into PS...these are 3rd party shapes and not included with PS.....just search for 'Arrow Shapes for Photoshop' and you'll easily find them.

I also continue on from creating the text to add a little drop shadow but this is optional....you can stop at that point.

If this isn't what you want then you'll have to 'stroke' your 'path' or 'shape' as I did above for it to become renderable 'pixels'...the 'path' or 'shape' alone is not enough.

Without knowing what it is you have created I can't go into it further. If you can post a relevant screen shot or elaborate on what it is you have as regards a 'path' or a 'shape' then we can continue....otherwise its all guesswork.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
As it stands, right now, all we know is that you are having a problem using tools such as path, shape, and stroke. In principle, you might also be having a problem getting images from LR -> PS -> LR, unless you are absolutely confident (though testing) that you have this part down.

So, to add to the excellent advice MrToM gave on working with PS, I suggest you de-couple the photoshop part of the overall task from the mechanics of getting data from LR into PS and then back to LR. Work on each of these two steps separately -- make sure they work separately. Then, only when they are working separately, attempt to join them together to accomplish the overall task. If they both work perfectly on their own, but don't work when you try to join them, then you know where your problem is.

Tom M

Last edited:

WesternGuy

Tom, I have no troublegoing from LR > PS > LR. I do itall the time with great success, so that is not the problem, In fact, I am unsure if there really is aproblem as it may be that I am not using the tool correctly.

The only tool I amusing is the Free Form Pen Tool. Theimage that I am trying to "annotate" (if that is the correct word) isan Infrared image that has some sort of an artefact in it. I simply want to be able to put a"circle" or "polygon" of some sort around this artefact sothat I can outline for viewers. I wantto find out what is causing the artefact and if I "highlight" itsomehow, then viewers will know what part of the image I am talking about.

I hope thisexplanation helps clarify what I am trying to do. Think of it as a picture with 5 horses in itand I want to draw attention to only one horse by putting a "box" orirregular "polygon" around it, so that viewers of the image will knowwhich horse I am talking about. In mycase, it is not horses, but an irregular artefact in an image that I have neverseen in any other of my infrared imagers. I need some way to "highlight" so it stands out.

WesternGuy