What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another newbie concert picture

who4ever

Hi. I am progressing nicely in editing my concert photographs, but am stuck on this one. How do I tone down the guitarist/drummer and then enhance the entire image. Any way I could get some of the detail back into the guitarist also?
Thanks again, Dave

Attachments

• 1975-12-10-The Who-Buffalo Memorial Auditorium (6).jpg
    1975-12-10-The Who-Buffalo Memorial Auditorium (6).jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 5

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Let's take this step by step as this may take a lot of work and would be great to have the feedback of other guys here at certain stages....

I'll start.... I'm using PS7 but will apply to your CS... ( @MrToM ..... don't say it... lol ) .... I hate it whenever I use CS with internet on....

You can bring out detail by using levels adjustment....

Washout.jpg

from here, you can delete whatevers not needed. Blend the details into your background. Now you've got the needed details to work on.....

It has been said in numerous image enhancement discussions that you can't improve on what is not there. For extreme washout issues, you can only do so much to bring out detail..... but there's no harm in giving it a do or die try.... :D

Give it a try as well. You might be able to take it a step further.... and post what you came up with.

Others may have other ideas for this first step. Let's wait and see what they got....

Tom Mann

Guru
The exact same comments we made and techniques that we suggested in your two previous threads about salvaging concert photos apply here, e.g., https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...rt-picture-post1533723168.html#post1533723168 .

To be blunt, the quality of these photos is just awful. If it were me, since presumably there are many other, better photos of these musicians in concert, and hence, no real market for these, unless someone was paying me a lot of money, or it was a matter of a personal passion, I wouldn't waste my time trying to improve them.

If you really want to work on this one, first, let's see what you have been able to do using the techniques we previously suggested to you.

Tom M

MrToM

Guru
...I'm using PS7 ...MrToM..... don't say it... lol...
Nothing wrong with PS7 Mr Flintstone.

It too was written with tablet users in mind.......stone tablets!....and a chisel! :rofl:

Its what you do with it that counts...so I've been told.

Regards.
MrLivingInThe21stCentury.

who4ever

Sorry, I'm not quite clear on what you did. I am familiar with Levels, but can I use Levels on an isolated area of the image without affecting the rest. It seems that you used it on the entire image, which made the guitarist better but darkened out the rest.
Then, how would I blend the boundary? I am not good with Layers yet. Is that what you used?
Let's start with that and then go on.
Thanks, Dave

MikeMc

McGuru
Sorry, I'm not quite clear on what you did. I am familiar with Levels, but can I use Levels on an isolated area of the image without affecting the rest. It seems that you used it on the entire image, which made the guitarist better but darkened out the rest.
Then, how would I blend the boundary? I am not good with Layers yet. Is that what you used?
Thanks, Dave

Start with masking any areas you work on, save them each on a different layer

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Thanks, Dave

You can use masks like MikeMc suggested. Mine was to show what can be done using the Levels Adjustment.

In my work on your image, it was a quick way to show the results. At that stage, I haven't deleted the unwanted parts on the layer. When deleted, you can add a mask to the remaining portions. Just CTRL+click the layer, inverse and apply mask.

You'ld get the same result if you select the washed out areas in the entire image, INVERSE and add mask.

Which ever way works for you is up to you....

As I'm not free at the moment, I'll help you out on this later with a show and tell image.....

who4ever

I've been working on the image and this is what I have come up with. What I would like to do now is work on the singer. I am becoming more familiar with layer masks but it does not make sense to me to adjust the entire image with the level until the singer looks good and then use the level mask to conceal the adjustment on everything around him. I'm sure I am not doing it right. Just please tell me how to isolate or select the singer first, then use the adjustments to change just him. Thanks
1975-12-10-The Who-Buffalo Memorial Auditorium (7a).jpg