What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basic Pen tool tutorial | Inkz

Inkz

Guru
So I thought I would knock up A quick tutorial on how to Pentool A logo.

Here is what we will be making.

nyrender-1.png

So lets start and open PS. Open the render, select and copy. Then paste in a new 500x500 pixel document. You will need 3 layers. Background, middle layer and the copy of the logo on top. Lower the top layer to opacity 40.

pt2-1.jpg

pt1-1.jpg

Now select the middle layer and make sure your brush is at 3 pix and the Pen tool settings are like this below.

pt3.jpg

Now with the Pentool ready. Click on corner of the image, then the other. This will create a line.

pt4.jpg

Now click on the centre of the line. Then you will see another dot in the middle of the line.

pt5.jpg

Hold down Ctrl & left mouse button and drag until the line meets up.

pt6.jpg

Now do the whole image as above.

pt7.jpg

When done. Right click, select fill path, click ok. Right click again then delete path.

pt8.jpg

Here is the render for you to use.

nyrender-1.png

Tioga

What do you mean by - Open the render, select, copy?.... sorry for being ignorant but I dont know what that means....

ibclare

Queen Bee
A render is a selection of a symbol, object, etc., "rendered" into a png, an image with a transparent BG.

Open the render for this exercise as you would any other file. It is available for you to download in the first image, right click and save.

Or you can click on the bar to make it larger, copy it. In Photoshop, do ctl/cmd + N, then paste the symbol (NY Yankees :mrgreen: ) into the document, and follow the rest of the tutorial.

Tioga

Ahh... I didnt exactly understand the terminology on that one. I do know some on the pen tool but the tut is a help. I didnt realize one could grab the line in the middle and reposition it. One of those hidden features I reckon. I watch so many tutorials.... after 10 or 12 I forget the first 7 or 8... lol. Especially if you dont use the techniques often. I know you know what I mean. But anyways I did learn from this thanks so much for the help.

Ron

Inkz

Guru
Thanks for your comments guys, this was just a quick intro to using the pen tool. I will make another one very soon. Probably making a cartoon character or something along those lines.

onioz

thanks alot im new and this explains well to learn how to use pentool to newbie like me :thumbsup:..

Teddy P I N K

When u say to click ctrl and left click my mouse, the line goes everywhere and not to the shape of the design...what am I doing wrong?

Peaches Of The Night

Thanks so much!!! I know realize I cant even draw a straight line (Shakes Head)

ibclare

Queen Bee
Ah, but you don't have to be able to in PS! Just set those guidelines and pick your tool: pen tool, brush with the shift key, pencil with the shift key, polygonal lasso . . . Endless fun for shaky hands!

Peaches Of The Night

:thumbsup: Thats the best news I heard all day!!! Thanks so very much!!!!