What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best way to erase fabric wrinkles

Lilu00

Hello guys,
I am looking for a fast and effective way to erase wrinkles on these fabric ducts hanging on the ceiling.
The result should be smooth, but natural looking.
The process will be done often and should be less time consuming if possible.
I've tried frequency separation, but it only reduces the wrinkles.
Simply Gaussian Blur works in some cases, but can look unnatural when closer and needs adding texture back.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

wrinkles.jpg

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Lilu
It may be just late for me you I do not see wrinkles in the haning fabri signs that stand out. Could be overlooking them yet nothing that I saw distracting.
John Wheeler

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I see the wrinkles in the fabric ducts......
Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 7.29.10 AM.png

.............and like John states, I don't think they're that distracting. It's just part of how fabric ducting looks.

thebestcpu

Guru
Thanks IamSam for pointing out the wrinkles. I guess I was too tired to read the OP correctly.

Here is my result with bringing into PS, make smart object, use Camera Raw Filter, apply Adjustment Brush with negative Texture slider and brush along ducts with automask turned on. Quick and easy. Could also be done with masking in PS yet this seemed the quickest route. Hope that helps.
The animated GIF below shows the before and after.
PS - the texture slider is available in just the most recent version of ACR yet I like it a lot already.
John Wheeler
fabric-wrinkles.gif

Argos

Guru
In my opinion, if you want to remove it completely, use the patch tool. A little bit more work than the method mentioned above but still easy and fast.

Cheers!

revnart

Power User
Quick edit, so result could be better if someone give it more time.
Duplicated layer, used path blur from blur gallery with paths matching pipes direction, then masked out everything and then just revealed pipes parts with brushing on mask.
That solution have potential flaws, but can give you some starting point.

edit.jpg