What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Way To Make Selection in photoshop ...

Amrik Saini

hi guys i wanted to ask wich is best way to make selection in photoshop... i mean to change background of subjects....

each picture is different but pen tool most accurate, but time consuming ........ lasso tool, magic wand tool .many ways

Would like to mention that you shouldn't feather your selection at all(unless you are using the refine edge tool) because the amount of feather varies on the picture. For example: The amount of blur from a wool sweater on a soft background would be higher than the edges of the skin on that same background. For best results apply your feather to the mask directly while keeping the amount of blur variable - depending on which part your a blurring(feathering). Ideally your cutout should have as little feathering as possible.

Take this advice with a grain of salt as well...as there are many roads that lead to Rome. Cheers!

Last edited:
I would zoom up close in the image using the zoom tool (press "z" key) and use the pen tool to outline your object. This is the most accurate method of cutting an object out of an image.

Actually, there's a trick I really love that you may want to know (if you don't already). I use it all the time!

The basic idea is you generate a black and white image in your Channels tab (just right of your layers tab), and then hold "ctrl" while clicking the thumbnail of the image. This will select the lighter areas of your image for you. Try it on any default layers such as 'blue' and you'll get a quick example of what I mean.

note: your selection does include transparency. So gray areas indicate how transparent your selection is in that area. Beautiful tool for wispy clouds!

If any of this doesn't make sense just ask me to explain better.

Tips on refining this technique:
- select the 'red', 'blue', and 'green' channels seperately to view them. Choose one of these layers that has the greatest difference in luminance for pulling your selection. (blue is usually best, but not always). This is good starter image to pull your selection from (make a copy of it by dragging it to the 'copy layer' icon at the bottom of the window).
- make your black and white selection clearer by selecting the layer and then going image>adjustments>curves. manipulate the curve until your selection area is white and the non-selection area is black. Remember that including some gray area is good for detail.
- And of course, you can use 'invert' if you meant to select the black area rather than white. I prefer to actually invert my black and white image, rather than use 'invert selection'. I think there's some inaccuracy in the 'invert selection' tool - but I could be imagining that.

okay, and here's another technique for polishing the extraction.

Sometimes, you'll get a background that actually bleeds into the area you're trying to cut out. For example, let's say you're pulling a key on a cloud from a blue sky. However, you want to put that sky onto a pink sky rather than a blue one. To solve this, add a layer above your extracted cloud, and then group it to cloud layer (ctrl + alt + g). Now, in this new area you can paint the color that best matches your new image. What you need to paint varies wildly on the situation. However, for the cloud example here's what I'd do: 1) use a layer on 'color' mode and then paint with blue areas of our cloud with the same pink as your new background. 2) Most likely, you're sky's will have difference luminance as well. So, I also group a layer above the 'color' layer. This time create a curve layer by going layer>adjustment layer>curve. Now edit the curve until the sky from the cloud extraction matches the new sky's luminance. Try to isolate the lower areas of the curve so you don't effect the cloud too much (unless you want to). You can refine the area of this curve by painting in the area of the alpha channel.

Back