What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black, White or Red Pentax?

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
well basically, at jacobs there are black white and red versions of the Pentax K-r, which i chose as my weapon from january up til it breaks down.
but i don't know what colour to pick!?
what do you guys think?

4374_pentax_kr_18-55_black.jpg
pentax1.jpg
4376_pentax_kr_18-55_red.jpg

and does anyone know if the white version has the coloured lens too?

Hoogle

Guru
I would stick to the black 1 A) because it will not show scuff marks if you were to knock it a bit and B) when you progress to more than the kit lens setup you will want to try different lenses possibly from 3rd person companies such as Tamron or Sigma who probably dont do matching colour scheme lenses but that is only a beauty point and mainly cosmetic.

RedneckR0nin

I figure a color don't matter and completely up to you...I would use a flame on hot florescent pink camera if it was technically sound and captured images well! So I faithfully resign from this question as I be good for nothing....in all honesty....pick the black one.. why....no clue just normal I guess

If i may ask, why Pentax? Im not fan of theirs, i would go with a Canon 500d for that price, its a bit older but still quite competent camera... From DP Review: “For anybody buying their first DSLR the 500D is an easy recommendation but you might want to have a look at the Nikon D5000 as well. It comes with a similar feature set to the 500D ('only' 720P video though) and performs slightly better in low light.”

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
because i don't go with the crowd, and from what i've heard it's a very reputable camera. plus i'm on a budget of under £400, which your canon recommendation falls short.
from comparison sites, the Pentax K-r is the 2nd best camera in that type of range. a nikon d5000 is at the top, but only just, and that is also, above my price range.

the Pentax K-r is the fastest shooting camera of all entry class models.
has a higher ISO which blows the nikon and the canon out of the water (25600 ISO max) (i do allot of night shots so thats handy)
and from playing with a couple of canon EOS cameras, a couple of nikons, the Pentax K-r and a panasonic lumix G-3. the pentax felt the best, there was no added bulk or discomfort, it felt perfect in my hand, all three of those, and more, is what makes me choose the pentax over any other mainstream brand. i've settled on that, knowing it's the best camera in my price range.

Last edited:

Paul

Former Member
Don't go with the crowd......lol

Adam McIntyre

I would def stay away from the red one, it looks tacky.

I usually like to just stick with plain versions, but I actually quite like the white version - it looks like a similar colouring to the Canon 200mm lenses